What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep trouble

i have a ventricosa and its pitchering just fine but the pitchers are barely getting about an inch long and there browning and dying? wonderin what to do ?

what are your conditions? Sounds like a light and humidity problem to me

i have 3 lights on it. an 18ww t8, 60 ww plant light, and a 40ww warm white. my humidity looks relativly average and i have it in my basement so its a good temperature.

If this plant is a recently acquired one, it might still be adjusting. It is one, if not the toughest Nepenthes, if you ask me.

I got a little guy about two years ago and was planning to grow it outside under shade cloth here in Western Australia. Don't forget humidity here seldom gets above %50. At first it seemed to be having some trouble, throwing out tiny little 1"-2" long pitchers. But after a while, it picked up and a year on has become 2 large plants each throwing 5"-7" long pitchers at an almost constant rate.

Just let it settle in. Don't keep it too wet, though, just moist.

Hi Every one

I have a Ventricosa that is approx 2 yrs old and has just finished blooming. My problem is that the leaves are twisting instead of laying flat and I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong.
The soil it's in is the usual nep soil, ( another words, I can't remember exactly WHAT it is....sorry) It sits on a table next to one of our very large windows facing south ( we have 6 very large windows) along with a couple of orchids, violets and succulents. I have another ventricosa that has nice, flat leaves sitting right next to it.
The weather here is cool, in the 60's but that's unusual, it's usually in the low 90's and when it is hot, we have a swamp cooler that works wonderfully. (a source of humidity?) I started watering the plant over the sink, flushing the pot because I was worried that I wasn't watering it correctly, maybe too much? But the soil is moist with a top dressing of lfs. Speaking of humidity, from day 1 they have been acclimated to lower humidity with no problem. Maybe the tempreture isn't high enough? Anyway, I'm at my witts end, maybe for nothing, but I need your opinions. I hope the pictures I'm adding show the twisting leaves well enough for you. Please give me your opinions as I need all the help I can get! Looks like I'll be adding the pictures after I post this.....IF I can figure it out!
Thanks Everyone
marian
twotut

Any pics of the leaves?

What type of water are you using? Neps in general don't appreciate water logged roots AFAIK so over watering could be a problem I suppose.

As a highlander I found ventricosa to really appreciate a nighttime drop in temp. Mine rarely experiences temps above 80F or so and at night it drops to about 70F, maybe a bit less. Humidity consistently at 60%.

Not sure exactly what the problem is or if there even is an issue. Hopefully someone more experienced can help.

I use distilled water only and our night time temps do drop to about the upper 50's

Twotut:

How often are you watering? I had a couple ventricrosa's that curled their leaves when I was under watering them about a year ago. On the other side of the spectrum, too much watering will lead to root rot which you notice by leaves dying from the top down.

And how do leaves look? If they're developing redish/brown spots with a paler (more yellowish coloring) they may be getting too much light (another problem I had...). I would only say they weren't getting enough light if they weren't growing/developing pitchers.

I've had a lot of problems with Nepenthe's. It's what I get for growing by trial and error, lol.

My Ventricosa is about 2 yrs old and just finished blooming. My concern is the twisting of the leaves. I have the usual soil recommended, it's sitting next to a very large south facing window with one other ventricosa and a few others plants (orchids, violets and cactus). The soil is kept damp with a top dressing of LFS and I water it by flushing the pot with distilled water over my sink which I just started doing, for fear I was watering too much i.e. the twisted leaves. It sits on rocks from my driveway so it doesn't sit in water. So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong? Right now, the weather is in the high 60's and we had rain last night. Any ideas? Maybe it's not warm enough?.....though my second ventricosa has no twisted leaves and it sits right beside it. And from day 1 it's been acclimated to our lower humidity(we use a swamp cooler when it gets hot) So that's it I can't think of any other info you might need. Here are some pictures that should give you an idea of the problem, if there is one, I'm facing. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

100_1355.jpg

100_1356.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

I'M SO SORRY TO POST THIS TWICE.. just trying to figure out posting pictures. Is there a way to get the picture from my computer?

Do you know what the ambient humidity is?

Maybe some pests. But I am not expert on this.

My Ventricosa is about 2 yrs old and just finished blooming. My concern is the twisting of the leaves. I have the usual soil recommended, it's sitting next to a very large south facing window with one other ventricosa and a few others plants (orchids, violets and cactus). The soil is kept damp with a top dressing of LFS and I water it by flushing the pot with distilled water over my sink which I just started doing, for fear I was watering too much i.e. the twisted leaves. It sits on rocks from my driveway so it doesn't sit in water. So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong? Right now, the weather is in the high 60's and we had rain last night. Any ideas? Maybe it's not warm enough?.....though my second ventricosa has no twisted leaves and it sits right beside it. And from day 1 it's been acclimated to our lower humidity(we use a swamp cooler when it gets hot) So that's it I can't think of any other info you might need. Here are some pictures that should give you an idea of the problem, if there is one, I'm facing. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

100_1355.jpg

100_1356.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

I'M SO SORRY TO POST THIS TWICE.. just trying to figure out posting pictures. Is there a way to get the picture from my computer?

sorta looks like its wilting from being kept too dry, or, just as much, it was kept too wet and the roots rotted and now it cant absorb as much water so it LOOKS like it is wilting. Low humidity would also do this.

Last edited:
Thank you SeaQuest, now I know what to look for!! I've contacted Sarracenia Northwest, sent pictures and they told me that some of their neps do the same......but........I don't know, just doesn't feel right...
I've just rechecked the plant and watered it so maybe I'll see some kind of change....
thanks again!!

stay close, I know I'll need more help...

twotut, if you read the forum rules, you would have known that mentioning vendor names within the US aside from Andy's (flytrapshop) is forbidden. please edit your post. thanks. :)

Back