What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

low land nep help

what are some good hardy beginner lowlanders that can be out side in new jersey from April to october ish, then become a window sill plant for the winter?

I think you want to look for more of an intermediate nepenthes because most lowlanders take hotter temperatures than you're likely provide in the winter, and possibly at night outside in the summers, to be truly happy. IMHO, you should look into all the nepenthes that flytrapshop has on offer because they'll probably do really well for you. I've had a ventricosa and sanguinea, like you're saying you will keep your plants, in Vermont and they did fine.

Yeah definitely an intermediate would suit you better. Most lowlanders wont be able to take a New Jersey April. The plant would need to adapt to the lower temps and humidity for a long time.

new jersey has incredibly high humidity wise summers and springs......so an intermediate it is i was looking at these

n. ventricosa
n. copelandii
n. bicalcarata

bical is an ultralowlander, not an intermediate....a few people have been able to grow it as such but it is definitely a lowlander

I'd add truncata and eymae to your list. Both are hardy, intresting neps.

thanks

so just use a part peat and part perlite mix?

Decent size Truncata will do :D

i would use a more airy mix with lfs/orchid bark or osmunda fiber in it...peat and perlite is generally too wet and compacts much too much to keep alot of neps happy.

alright i have some long fibered spagnum...but its dried out, and orchid bark??? okay ill try that.

dry lfs is what i would use in the mix anyway, well its only dry until you use it ;) good luck :) and welcome to the forums too since idont think i ever welcomed you :)

go with the cope or truncata if your patient.

Back