What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
In the middle of winter, I find that there are red spider mites and scale on most of my Nepenthes. Everything needs to be treated with an insecticide, but I just can't put them outside right now... any advice?

Plants with mites include N. hamata, clipeata x eymae, and just about any other Nepenthes on my growlist. N. alata "Boschiana Mimic" has a moderate scale infection. I have no idea where the bugs came from.

oh no!!!! ok i highly recommend that for scale, rub lightly with rubbing alcohol on the infect parts where you see the adult scale, for mites, i use neem oil, which will also suffocate the young scale and prevent them from reaching maturity.....i would rub with alcohol on adults, wait a day, then treat with neem and do this every week on a 2 month or so basis until you notice all of the pests are gone....

oh no!!!! ok i highly recommend that for scale, rub lightly with rubbing alcohol on the infect parts where you see the adult scale, for mites, i use neem oil, which will also suffocate the young scale and prevent them from reaching maturity.....i would rub with alcohol on adults, wait a day, then treat with neem and do this every week on a 2 month or so basis until you notice all of the pests are gone....

Thanks, Kris. In about two months, it would have been safe to put them outside. The scale shouldn't be too hard to get rid of as the Boschiana Mimic is the only one that has it as it was growing alone. Now I just need to find some Neem.

Drastic times call for desperate measures, I guess...

I would manually remove the adult scale in addition to that. If for nothing else than the sheer pleasure.

Just rub your fingernail lightly across the leaf as if it where a lathe against the leaf and watch them squish. Ah, revenge is sweet.

Just my thoughts but I'd get everything with some ortho product that contains acephate. Alot of folks don't like the chemicals but hey with that extra arm I can get alot more done ! Seriously if it's possible and safe (area) I'd nuke em. As well as a contact kill there is some uptake and will give a systemic effect too.

Repot your infected plants too. I just had some mealy bugs on a few orchids so I can some what relate....pests just find a way i guess. SK is right about the rubbing alcohol for scale, id try that in addition to spraying with neem. Horticultural oil/ soap works on scale and mites too, if the neem doesn't work for you.

Hey what symptoms do plants initiallt suffer when infection of spider mites begins? Is reduction in leaf size a symptom?

I think My Jamban and Jacquelineae have them :( Although it seems to be just begining, as I saw only a few very tiny red specks that would move if prompted too... what other symptoms do neps usually show?

deformation of leaves, discoloration, splotching, quick dying leaves....atleast in my experiance

Just too a pic of the Jacq, any clues or symptoms you can spot?

DSC02167.jpg

Clue I'm sorry for hijacking your thread....

the spotting on the leaves might indicate it.....but it looks fine otherwise to me...

Carn: Hijack away. Try swabbing with a wet cotton swab on the underside of the leaves... look at the swab with a hand lense, etc. This is usually how I check for mites.

DOn't worry Carn. It looks pretty good. Jacq does that during the acclimatization phase.

My local Lowes carries neem Clue. PM me if you still need some.

Yann: Thanks for the offer, but hopefully I don't need to take it thanks to the generosity of a friend. :)

Yeah, this is going to be an uphill battle from here, but I have some good news to report:
1. The Boschiana Mimic looks much nicer now after getting rid of a few leaves that had the majority of the scale. Swabbing helped immensely.
2. The hamata seems to be making a new growth point off of the side of the stem.
3. It seems as though I caught the mites early on. Most of my plants aren't show damage and are still growing normally.

I sent you the Neem on Monday clue. Be careful when using it. I would test it on a very common nep first before trying it on like a Hamata, etc...
I tested it on a really common nep my self and it seemed to work well

i use 100% neem oil in water, i dont add any soap or anything though. i just lightly spray my plants once a week, sometimes more often that *hell i sometimes go on regular misting sprees with the stuff!* and its never hurt my plants, the orthenex however has hurt my neps before.

I got some neem oil, i'll see how my Neps progress before spraying, but I'll probably spray it soon for preventative measures.

Back