What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding neps Beta pellets

In winter I feed my neps Beta pellets (fish food), and they seem to do fine.
But when I look down into the pitchers I see the undissolved pellets just sitting there.
I expected them to break up and dissappear.
Soooooo..... you think the good stuff is leaching out and feeding the plants or am I just fooling myself?
???

i would venture a guess that if the pellets are undissolved, then the plant is not getting anything from it.

They expand don't they? You'll notice they completely dissolve after a couple days.

I just noticed this last night, I'll watch and see what happens over the next couple weeks.
You might be right about them expanding, I'll try to get a better look.
Thanks for the comments.

I feed my nepenthes Massivore Delight. They thrive on it.

-Hermes.

In winter I feed my neps Beta pellets (fish food), and they seem to do fine.
But when I look down into the pitchers I see the undissolved pellets just sitting there.
I expected them to break up and dissappear.
Soooooo..... you think the good stuff is leaching out and feeding the plants or am I just fooling myself?

I typically split or partially pulverize the pellets before feeding them to Nepenthes or Cephalotus; that will ensure that they quickly dissolve and not encourage algal growth -- which had been a problem with some of my Nepenthes in the past . . .

I use freeze dried food. Bood worms and crickets. They are easy to break up if you have to and don't seem to smell at all. I have used fish pellets with success in the past but the filler and plant products put me off.

I feed only my bigger pitchers, over 3" tall, beta pellets, the rest get freeze dried blood worms. I found they end up gelling the liquid in the pitchers. The small pitchers in my care are short lived after a beta pellet, same with heli's.

I use the freeze dried blood worms too, but sometimes have difficulty getting them to drop down into the pitcher without getting stuck on the lip or sides.

Back