What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I put a rooted cutting of N. "deroose alata" in a deep water culture hydroponic setup. Its been about 4.5 months and is really starting to take off. The roots are coming out of the bottom of the net pot. It quit making pitchers when humidity dropped for the winter.

IMG_0074-Copy.jpg

The setup consists of a net pot, hydroton, a pitcher of water and an aquarium air pump with stone. If you're going to try this at home I would suggest using an opaque container.

There is also a deep water culture setup that has had jade in it for years at the store I work at. It flowers every winter:
IMG_0071-Copy2.jpg

That's really cool!

The Nep is cool but not totally surprising, the Jade however astounds me!
How does it not turn to mush in a hydro setup??

Thats a nice looking nep! But that Jade is hypnotising! I can't keep one alive, they always die...

The Nep is cool but not totally surprising, the Jade however astounds me!
How does it not turn to mush in a hydro setup??

You can do just about anything that grows in the ground in hydroponics. I don't think epiphytic plants do so well.

Epiphyte orchids seem to do quite well in a setup called "semi hydro" which is those hydroton balls sitting in 1" of water, wicking the moisture up to the roots through the 5" of non submerged hydroton ontop where the plant is. The water never gets deeper than 1" or 2" - wherever you drilled holes in the side of an undrained clear container. Theres also no need of a pump with "semi-hydro" I'm going to be trying a few that way soon when I get this remodelling done.

Yeah, my boss has a bunch of orchids in "semi hydro" that are doing well long term. He said they tried a bunch in a flood and drain system and they didn't do well. Apparently it was difficult to keep the water clean enough.

Post your pics when you get R done!

Man just like two days ago I was pondering the idea of Nepenthes being grown hydroponically. That's really awesome.

Have you tried, say a D. capensis, in pure Hydroton? Does it live and grow?

I've been looking for a filler at the bottom of my mini-bogs / pots like this.
I found and purchased a large box of PrimeAgra Ceramic Growing Medium. I use D. capensis as a test plant and see if it grows in the media before adding it to my soil mixes. In pure PrimeAgra the plant dies in 3 to 4 days.
I know that Lava Rock can work, but it costs so much to use, hard to find any perlite that is not infested with Miracle Grow anymore.

I currently have a VFT, a Cephalotus and more recently a Heliamphora in DWC hydroponics. The VFT did very well in it last summer but is currently in winter dormancy, though clearly still alive. The Cephalotus is proving troublesome but still alive and the Heliamphora is looking very promising.

Back