What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Before coffee treatment

So I gave my 3 neps. the coffee treatment tonight. Here's some pics from before the treatment.. I'll post another set of pics of the three plants after 1 month, then again 2 months from now. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn't kill them, or worse.. hopefully it doesn't turn them into rabid zombie killer plants. :evil:

N. splendiana x (rokko x stenophylla)

SeedgrownNsplendianaxrokkoxstenophy.jpg

100_2682.jpg

N. gracilis

Ngracilis.jpg

Nepenthes x ventrata

Nxventrata.jpg

All 3 together

100_2681.jpg

hopefully it doesn't turn them into rabid zombie killer plants.

That's right, you're new here. That should be, "hopefully it does turn them into rabid zombie killer plants." :D
Best luck with it - if the consensus around here indicates anything, I think you'll be pleased with the results.
~Joe

That's right, you're new here. That should be, "hopefully it does turn them into rabid zombie killer plants." :D
Best luck with it - if the consensus around here indicates anything, I think you'll be pleased with the results.
~Joe

Let me rephrase that.. hopefully it doesn't turn them into rabid zombie HUMAN killing plants.

Hi There:

I've tried used ground coffee in Neps with success. the only thing i do different is that i don't use 100% ground coffee, but mixed with 2/3 pine bark, perlite, and some peat.

Gus

What I did was pour 8 1/2 oz. of coffee through the substrate and let it drain really well out the bottom. Then I just pressed the moss down to wring out any excess coffee.

I think Gus is referring to using coffee grounds (usually very coarse grounds from what I understand) as a potting media. Some people report spectacular success with it while others have problems with high nutrient levels and mold, but from what I've read it appears to me that the coffee is generally good and the problems crop up as a result of other cultural factors - poor air circulation, high temperatures, infrequent watering, etc.
My method is to get a big bag of used coffee grounds from a coffee shop (most Starbucks locations keep some on hand pre-bagged for customers' gardens - it's free) and boil it in CP-safe water for several hours over low heat. RO or rainwater is fine, but I like to use bog water drained from my outdoor trays as it already has some tannins and other helpful stuff in it. Once the whole kitchen stinks of bad coffee, I let it settle and cool a little and then siphon/ladle off the liquid, which by then is pretty black and soupy and doesn't really resemble a good cup of coffee in any way. I add fresh water back in and repeat the process until the water starts coming out translucent and brown, at which point I think the grounds are pretty much done (but maybe still good as a potting mix additive.) I leave the stuff concentrated until I use it, with the hope that the acidity and dark color keeps things from growing in it. When I water, I dilute it in one to three parts water and add a few drops of SuperThrive per gallon. (I don't know that the SuperThrive really makes a difference, but it's cheap and the packaging makes me smile.)
I've noticed that everyone has their own way that they prefer but it seems to help no matter what.
Ack! I just reread that last part - don't press down your moss! It's not the end of the world, but you shouldn't make a habit of it. Pressing down on the media will compact it, making it harder for air to circulate to the root zone. Fresh air is very important for Nep roots - they're accustomed to living in loose soils where the roots can breathe. If you feel the need to remove the excess coffee, flush the pot with fresh water.
~Joe

I think Gus is referring to using coffee grounds (usually very coarse grounds from what I understand) as a potting media. Don't press down your moss! Pressing down on the media will compact it, making it harder for air to circulate to the root zone.
~Joe

Yeah, I caught that he was talking about mixing some in with the substrate. My grandmother use to do that with her tomato plants.
I know about needing good soil aeration.. that's why I refluffed the substrate after wringing it out. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

Here's a 20 day update.

N.splendiana x (rokko x stenophylla)

Before:
100_2705.jpg

After:

100_2781.jpg

100_2782.jpg

N.gracilis

Before: (The Lone Pitcher)
Ngracilis.jpg

After: (no longer alone)
100_2732.jpg