What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death Cube/First Nep

Vbkid

Getting There...
So last week I was at Lowe's and came cross a single Death Cube nep. I don't have my camera at school so I can't post a picture right now. I know I'm supposed to keep it fairly dry but am really at a loss after that. Currently I sitll have it in the cube, not watering it much, and keeping the lid on a few hours a day for humidity and just cracked the rest of the time. any quick advice is appreciated!

you might want to try the Nepenthes sub-forum. Personally, I don't know much about Neps, but I'm pretty sure they don't like to be dry and prefer a damp to moist soil, with high humidity.

Bah, completely meant the other forum, my apologies.

Do not let it dry out. Nepenthes like to be kept moist at all times, but not wet. In other words, top water it every few days, let excess water drain out after each watering, and avoid the tray method.

N. ventricosa or N. ventrata seem to be the most common death cube neps; either way, it will not need high humidity. You may, however, want to slowly adapt it to lower household humidity over two weeks or so. Open the lid a little, wait a few days, open it a little more, and continue doing this until the lid is completely off the cube. After that, remove the plant from the cube and find a sunny windowsill. Humidity really doesn't matter so much with the easier neps, but sunlight is very important. Make sure it gets somewhere around 4 hours of sunlight per day.

Best of luck with the new nep!

Good luck. All the leaves on the one I got from Lowes are dying and the growth point opened up just enough for another growth point to come out. I think I need to fertilize it.

@sss: Don't fertilize it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it's that weak, fertilization will kill it!!! Just give it some more sun and make sure it has good soil + water. Fertilization is only for fairly healthy neps that need a boost, and even then, with very low concentrations of fertilizer.

ooo i just got a nep from lowes (2 actually)

Mine actually can't stand to be dry. I usually make sure the soil is moist to the touch and if it dries out, I water thoroughly (just what works for me.) I also have it growing under some cheap lights that I got at lowe's but a sunny window should work as well.

that was my first nep too. Now (I think 6-8 months later) its spitting out a new leaf every week. once it gets past the humidity problems, it will grow like a weed. Best of Luck!

Back