What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low humidity Neps.

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
I was wondering if there are any Neps that will pitcher in a lower humidity enviroment. I want to grow some neps in my room but the humidity is very low in the winter (35%). The only Neps that I know of that can pitcher in low humidity are N.truncata "pasian" and N.sanguinea "Red" (but the sang needs more light than my window provides).

Does anybody know of any others?

Thanks. :)

That's kind of low, but not too low for healthy Neps to pitcher. You can do without sweltering humidity so long as you get all the other conditions spot on - especially the potting media, as the roots need to be in peak form to be able to keep up with water loss to dry air. You may struggle if you just rely on a window for light, though; the temperature changes (and resulting humidity changes) near windows can be difficult to accommodate as well. If you can provide consistent conditions, though, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't grow plants that you have the right general temperatures for.
For your first try, look for plants with hirsute ("hairy") foliage. The hairs protect against drying. Also look for ones with thicker, succulent leaves. N. truncata is definitely a good starting point. N. sanguinea doesn't have these features so much but is still very tolerant in my experience; same with N. ventricosa. Hybrids may be the best way to go, though, as they're often more tolerant of the vagaries of household conditions. Plants with truncata, ventricosa, vietchii, or the maxima group (maxima, eymae, spectabilis...) in their parentage should all be extra-durable.
As a last resort, a partial enclosure with lower temperatures will naturally raise your humidity. Air is able to carry less water at lower temperatures, so the relative humidity rises as temperature drops; if you cool room-temperature air with 35% RH by 10F, you would probably get close to 50% RH. (I could tell you exactly what the gain would be but I can't find the chart... there are tables online on engineering websites.)
Here's my recommended reading for toughening up your Neps:
http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/
Even if you aren't growing outside, this guy has some unbeatable information on how to grow Neps without babying them.
Best luck!
~Joe

i have pitchered ventrata and ventricosa in 15%......had some deformed pitchers during the acclimation process but once it settled in they went back to normal......

Thanks for all the info, I'm running out of space in my grow chamber and light cart and wanted to see if I could sqeeze in a extra nep in my room. I tried sanguinea but It needs too much light, more than truncata does.

You say hairy Neps like truncata can tolerate low humidity, what other neps fit that discription?

I grow truncata Pasian, lady Pauline, N. x Mixta, N. Sanguinea, Ventricosa, and ventrata all on my windowsill, and they are currently pitchering, they've growing there for about half a year. They get dirext morning sunlight until noon, and pitcher in 20% humidity. I try to mist them in the morning and befoe bed.

I grow truncata Pasian, lady Pauline, N. x Mixta, N. Sanguinea, Ventricosa, and ventrata all on my windowsill, and they are currently pitchering, they've growing there for about half a year. They get dirext morning sunlight until noon, and pitcher in 20% humidity. I try to mist them in the morning and befoe bed.

I like lady pauline alot.....maybe I'll get one of those. :D

You say hairy Neps like truncata can tolerate low humidity, what other neps fit that discription?

My knowledge of Nep species and their characteristics is certainly not comprehensive. My best suggestion is to look up descriptions and pictures of various species. Off the top of my head, N. hirsuta is one... and I think that pilosa and the mistaken-for-pilosa chaniana both are. Some varieties of vietchii and hamata fit the bill as well. Actually, most of the toothy species - hamata, macrophylla, edwardsiana, etc. - do, but I don't recommend these to start because of their expensive status and demand for cool temperatures. Other "ultra-highlander" plants probably do as well; the hairs protect against changes in air conditions in general, including temperature, so I think it's likely to be found in any species that grows in more exposed or variable areas, though maybe not as a dominant trait.
There are some lowland/intermediate species that are hairy, too, but they also are probably not the best starting place. N. albomarginata is one (at least with my clone.) I think there's a form of bicalcurata that is fuzzy at least on the pitchers, but my own definitely has smooth, shiny leaves (for now, at least - it's still a baby.)
The hairs (trichomes in biology lingo) aren't the only adaptation to guard against drying. Thickened leaves are another good one, and in my experience most Neps will produce thicker leaves with a waxy cuticle if you give them plenty of light and normal household conditions. The thickness means that the leaf holds more water relative to its surface area, so desiccation removes less of the plant's total water than with thin leaves. The waxy coating also helps to limit the escape of water through pores in the leaf surface through chemical/molecular effects. It's important to note that, if you grow your plants in a terrarium or with poor light, they will think that they are growing under the shelter of trees, shrubs and grasses as found in their natural habitat. As such, they won't spend as much energy on toughening their leaves - through whatever combination of trichomes, cuticle and succulent leaves their genetics favor - because the surrounding vegetation should be protecting them from wind and temperature fluctuations.
Of course, a glass tank or window is not nearly as good an insulator as plant matter, nor does it gradually respire water into the air to help counteract drying factors, so a Nep's normal gameplan for dealing with sub-par conditions (to make cheaper, lower-quality leaves in hope of scrambling up above the shade of neighbors) will only make matters worse. Water stress limits a plant's ability to turn sunlight into sugar, since they need to break it apart for the hydrogen (er, at least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.) Likewise, without light, a plant can't make use of what water and nutrients it has.
So at first, you're likely to see some pouting in the form of deformed or aborted pitchers, drying leaves, etc. Don't panic, and don't give into the pouting by sticking it in a closed container; sealing it up just means that the plant can't breath in addition to everything else. If you fear that water loss might kill it, put it in an open container (like a wide-mouthed jar or a large plastic bag) and give it a little less shelter every time it gets to opening a new leaf. The idea here is not to "hold in" humidity, but simply to keep away drying, drafty air and allow the plant to lose water in a steady, controlled manner. And remember that sunlight has a large infrared component, which turns into heat when it strikes an object. If sunlight is too hot/drying, put a bigger, healthier houseplant in the way to provide some filtering, but don't stick it in the shade altogether; the plant needs extra energy to adapt to harsh conditions, not less. It's preferable if the light is filtered, so that there are spots with some shade and spots with none, rather than uniformly dimmer conditions. This allows the leaves to experience the full intensity of the sunlight without forcing the entire plant to deal with it all at the same time. If you don't have a plant that you can use, a loose fabric, like cheesecloth, window screen or crocheted/knitted blankets will work as well.
If you want to take it out of the sunlight altogether, make sure to use very bright artificial light; if it's bright enough, it should look roughly as intense as sunlight that comes through your window when you compare them side-to-side. (Pro tip: don't look directly at the sun and your light bulbs; use a sheet of grey or white paper with half lit by window light and the other by your lamp; one side shouldn't be dramatically shadier than the other.) You'll be hard-pressed to find a light source as bright as the sun, but comparing like this will give you a more objective sense of your light than just using your intuitive sense of what's bright and what isn't. (Your eye is built to adapt to both bright and dim conditions, so you need to be looking at both light sources at the same time to eliminate the adjustments your eye makes.)
Finally, pick a big pot; a larger pot will dry out more slowly, which can help by providing a more stable source of moisture to the roots.
~Joe

veitchii will grow in low humidity but it didnt want to pitcher for me.....bongso also grew fine but refused to pitcher....

veitchii will grow in low humidity but it didnt want to pitcher for me.....bongso also grew fine but refused to pitcher....

Yeah, I've found that many neps will grow in low humidity just fine....getting them to pitcher is the problem .

My Ventrata is starting to grow on my windowsill. However, I'm not sure what my humidity is.

My copelandii mt apo pitchers all winter. Not much sun or humidity.
I think any truncata would pitcher. Both of mine pitcher every leaf though each pitcher dies off as the new one is opening.

My humidity is less than 20%, usually. I have about 99% of my Neps pitchering.

The trick is acclimating them... I have had plants do horrible until I bagged them and re-did the entire acclimation process.

My humidity is less than 20%, usually. I have about 99% of my Neps pitchering.

The trick is acclimating them... I have had plants do horrible until I bagged them and re-did the entire acclimation process.

Clue, that is very interesting that when you bagged your struggling Neps and then reacclimatized them, that they in turn responded well for you.

It was as if you were able to reset them.

And I agree with you on Neps being able to adjust to drier conditions. With cacti growing on a hill just a couple miles from where we live, in summer it is very arid here.

And I leave all of my highland Neps uncovered during the day.

But I'll have to remember the rebagging trick for future reference. That's a gooder!

I like lady pauline alot.....maybe I'll get one of those. :D

Do it. I got one thinking it would be a forgettable nep, and it has become one of my faves. Very hardy and prolific. Also, mine pitchered just fine when I kept it on my windowsill, about 25% humidity.

Do it. I got one thinking it would be a forgettable nep, and it has become one of my faves. Very hardy and prolific. Also, mine pitchered just fine when I kept it on my windowsill, about 25% humidity.

Either that or a N.miranda, I like both maxima and northiana and it has the best of both. :drool:

Clue, that is very interesting that when you bagged your struggling Neps and then reacclimatized them, that they in turn responded well for you.

It was as if you were able to reset them.

Definitely not the typical success story, but it's good to hear when people manage to do it right. I've had a similar experience with a few of my touchier plants, especially when I first started trying to move away from terrarium growing. I see a metaphor in an experience I've had with my own personal health; I have all sorts of postural problems that are entangled with various sources of pain and lack of core fitness. Because I don't stand up straight, things like jogging, weightlifting, etc. are near impossible for me to do correctly. My doctors used to always tell me, "well, just exercise more and you'll feel better," but while the physical activity itself had some benefits, my circumstances made them harmful at the same time; jogging aggravates my back pain because I put my weight on my heels - and I put my weight on my heels because my back pain makes me lean back subconsciously.
Likewise, putting a weakened plant directly into extreme conditions may lead it to do ultimately unhealthy things like reduce transpiration and photosynthesis to cope with immediate problems like water loss or UV radiation. I think that shock might have a similar pathology.
I'd be interested to read a more detailed account of your experience, Clue. If you ever go through the process again, a pic thread would be super. The Nep cultivation community could always use more examples of how to do things the right way.
~Joe

I grow almost all my neps in humidity 10-35% for about 5-6 monthes out of the year and they pitcher.It's 34% right now.
If you provide good light, water, and soil that should be enough. Of course some do better then others. I also never acclimate my plants when I get them.

I currently grow sanguinea, albomarginata, ventricosa, reinwardtiana, ventricosa x mira, sibuyanensis, and sibuyanensis x ventricosa all on a shelf with a grow light at regular room temp and humidity. I got others too, this is just what I could think of off the top of my head. Growing and pitchering nicely.

I am also looking for Neps that will grow and pitcher in lower light levels, I know ampullaria will but not with low humidity. :-(

seedjar: I've got the same problems, but my doctor doesn't just tell me to exercise more but sends me to physical therapy because it's what she had to do to finally fix *her* bad back. I'm currently going for my back (4 weeks left!) and it's the most painful exercise I could possibly think of. The guy did get me to stop walking funny after a horrendous knee injury, so I'm glad he's there to make sure I'm not doing the exercises wrong, and to switch them up for something easier if they're feeling too painful.

Back