What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some exciting news...

For those veitchii fans out there, thanks to a generous friend, he collected seeds of veitchii candy red, veitchii green form, and stenophylla from the bario highlands, this population is now under the mud from construction, im honored to be in posession of these seeds, harvested 2-20-10, they are very fresh and i just sowed them up....now to wait and see, veitchii is my favorite species and steno is gorgeous, i often refer to it as the leucophylla of nepenthes ;P
i will keep you guys posted on my progress, cant wait to get some more candy striped veitchii out into cultivation...

that really is exciting news! you've got some great trading/selling material when they come of age! looking forward to following your progress!

Cool.
I'll definitely be interested in a seedling if you're going to be offering some up for trade.

That is awesome. Keep me posted on the Candy striped Veitchii's as I would love 1 or 2 of those. Veitchii's are my Fav as well.

i also wanted to clarify that it is exciting for me to have the seeds, not exciting to hear about the population being buried due to construction and development, that is not exciting at all to me....
Yes if i get a considerable amount of germination i will offer some for trade here and there, otherwise i will be placing some plants into hands of people i know that can grow them well, i hope that if it works out we can get enough seedgrown individuals to start getting some actual nicer clones of veitchii into cultivation rather than the plain jane pale peristome and orangeish pitcher body, i still love the plants, but we need some more ;)

Good luck; they should be beautiful...

wow!! fantastic man. Damn!! I always wanted one of those highland veitchii. Too bad the seed isn't available widely. Sad to hear about more habitat destruction. Good luck with those seed dude.

so it seems that the main population of veitchii is the one under mud, im not sure if THIS population that these seed came from is, bit of a communication error, my own reading fault or something, unless these seed came from the main population, he never specified, all iknow is that they are from the bario highlands..

I love Veitchii as well, especially the varieties with the bright green/yellow peristome. Call them plain Jane or not, I like the flare they offer up. Just haven't been able to justify the cash to pick one up. Congrats on those seedlings, they reached good hands. Such a shame to know they will be the only remnants of their parents...

well if they are indeed the only remnants, i just really hope they germinate and i am able to get a couple of good strong plants for myself for a breeding pair in the future, hopefully if the area isnt too far gone we can send seed back to that location to start the population back up...if not atleast we can have seed of them here to keep their memory :( seems that might be the only thing keeping thorelii around now too there in vietnam after this last incident unless the kid is telling the truth and francois found the wrong site....

here is a photo of my veitchii that ive had for about a year or so now...maybe a bit longer? idk, maxposwillo traded this to me when it was about the size of a quarter....it has dropped its leaf size again from better lighting but for awhile filled the pot. lol i think it looks better now
Neps011-1.jpg

so, more seeds are indeed around in the states here....and the rest of the world

to quote a PM he sent me
Hi Kris,

seeds were collected from 2 candy red veitchii, their pods already split and releasing the seeds.

Seeds were send to 4 person in the US, 4 in Europe, 2 in Australia, one in Singapore and Thailand. some seeds were also distributed to 2 friends in Bario who have big piece of land where neps ( reinwardtaian, stenophylla & veitchii) grows naturally. I myself sow 30 seeds on 22/02/2010 partly to find out their viability & rate of germination.

0680017c.jpg

Attached photo plant in-situ. Photo was taken on January before the seeds ripe.

There are flowering male veitchii ( green and candy red form) growing few feet away from the female. About 200ft away there are flowering male reinwardtiana and stenophylla. There are hybrid among veitchii but rare in occurence, and not in the location where the seeds were collected.

regards,
name removed for this purpose

Knowing that those amazing plants and that beautiful habitat have been destroyed by constuction reminds me of why I have absolutely zero faith in humanity. :down:

Wow, that is such a nice in-situ pic!:drool:

again i dont believe this habitat has been harmed, but rather the MAIN habitat.....

Glad to hear efforts are being made to propagate the "Bario striped" form of N. veitchii. Kudos to all involved...

I'm very sorry to learn of the habitat destruction. There's just too many humans on this planet.
kpg

Love those two flowering plants! They look like a real happy couple. :) Also, your little guy, man, that is a terrifically vibrant red tendril it has!

Congratulations man!! Its good to hear that they are being circulated. I hope some can make their way over to canada. Good luck with the seed. I am sure you shouldn't have too much issues with it germinating like dandelions. They seem to be very very fresh.

Congrats man, that's awesome!

I just obtained oreophila (legally, to be clear), flava x alata, and oreophila x leucophylla, but I'm pretty sure your exciting news's dad could beat up my exciting news's dad.

Good luck with those, they'll make great additions for sure. :)

427veitchii.jpg

this one be female.......... :D

so an update on the seeds

ive got some stenophylla sprouts now, still waiting on the 2 groups of veitchii but so far everything looks fine....no mildew problems or anything.

Back