What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dwarf lowlanders?

• Thread starter Exo
  • Start date

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
I was just wondering if there were any really small LL Neps, preferably with maximum leaf spans of a foot or less. I'm looking for something that can be kept in my covered light-cart without outgrowing it. Thanks. :)

N. campanulata. Perfect cute little lowlander. However, I have seen some mighty specimens of it as well...but is no where close to other neps. It also doesn't vine and forms offshoots on runners. Makes for a beautiful plant.

N. campanulata. Perfect cute little lowlander. However, I have seen some mighty specimens of it as well...but is no where close to other neps. It also doesn't vine and forms offshoots on runners. Makes for a beautiful plant.

How big were the "mighty" specimens?

Try these small neps...

N. ampularia
N. argentii
N. bellii
N. campanulata
N. clipeata
N. glabrata
N. hirsuta

12" in diameter is a monster for this species, with 6-8" being found more commonly (although I've only seen a few this big.)

N. bellii is a small plant, as well as N. adnata.

EDIT: Hermopolis was faster lol. N. argentii and N. glabrata aren't lowlanders, however. I wish.

Try these small neps...

N. ampularia
N. argentii
N. bellii
N. campanulata
N. clipeata
N. glabrata
N. hirsuta

I got an ampullaria because I read that they stay small.......mine is 2ft in diameter now. :glare:

You might also consider N. northiana.

Even though it will get large, because it is so slow growing, you could keep it for awhile, and in that time your growing space situation could change so that you could accommodate it once it got larger.

You might also consider N. northiana.

Even though it will get large, because it is so slow growing, you could keep it for awhile, and in that time your growing space situation could change so that you could accommodate it once it got larger.

I tried northiana, it reacted badly to the high humidity and lack of airflow and got a bacterial infection. :-(

The amp on the other hand could care less.

campy is the only lowlander that i know that will fit in small spaces (and a mighty fine one at that!) my second choice would be belli which is also a LL.

campy is the only lowlander that i know that will fit in small spaces (and a mighty fine one at that!) my second choice would be belli which is also a LL.

Are ether of these as picky as northiana?

Try to avoid lowlanders they're generally fast and big growers, many people say ampullaria is small, but it becomes a behemoth..

go with the campanulata---it'll be good for you. my campanulata is an easy plant to keep but the conditions needed for pitchering makes it somewhat harder. when i first received my campanulata, it was subjected to HL conditions, and unfortuantely was stressed for a period of time. when it finally came to producing it's first functional pitcher, 4 months had already past. it continued to create another pitcher, larger than the first, but then stopped pitchering for some weird reason for the next two leaves. the newest leaf looks like it's ready to pitcher now.

get campanulata. it's small, compact and vines horizontally.

I would go with campanulata or bellii if I were you. I used to have a gorgeous bellii that I got rid of because it didn't pitcher well once I took it out of the tank and put it in my lower humidity (even though it didn't really mind intermediate temps and grew just as fast). After about 12-14'' they stop getting wider and just grow up. Mine also made basals like crazy. Here's a link to some pictures of it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116640

I think I might try the campanulata when I get a chance......if I can find one, that is.

yup! you will not regret going with a campanulata:

2920449574_3c7dcacc85.jpg

very cute plant.

awww what a cute baby vraev :love:

I think I have one on order...I like thorelliXcampanulata too, very cute bell-shaped pitcher, compact plant. Dunno if it can go lowlander, but it handles heat pretty well, and chilly temps too (always have a temp drop at night though). Not sure if it slowed down with the cold because I haven't had it *too* long yet.

campanulata is supposedly a fun plant. i still really want to get one when i have more time to take care of it. i read somewhere they do better in a slightly more alkaline mix. some people have had great success while others not so much... i love the small size and dainty pitchers.

this is Dave Schloat's plant at the NECPS show a few years ago. i think this is his female plant. its got a lovely red hue and the bigger growth cant be more than 10in across
IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

Alex

Definitely go with N. bicalcarata. Small, compact, easy to grow....

Lol..

No but really, Maybe I should get a belli or a campanulata, those look like great plants! I've been hesitant to get another lowlander just because of how big a lot of them get. My ampullaria x talangensis really appears to be loving the lowlandish temps, it hasn't skipped a beat since being shipped, hasn't lost any pitchers or leaves, opened a new one and is sending up some more leaves.

Anyboby got a good pic of N.belli that they grew?

Back