What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Alba

Does anyone have Nepenthes alba? It was apparently formerly known as a variation of gracillima but was recently elevated to species status.

I can only find pics for a handful of upper pitchers which are quite nice but I can't really find anything on the lowers.

Since I will be getting one of these very soon. I was curious what they look like when small and some growing advice if possible.

It looks like they grow as intermediate or highland.

Thanks!

there is one on the cp photo finder
dsc09337.jpg

Cool. Thanks. I always forget that site for some reason and google not always the best at finding exactly what you are searching for. What a dramatic difference between lowers and uppers.

I have to admit that I got it for the uppers, but the colors are nice on the lowers as well.

There's been some confusion on N. gracillima and N. alba. But it sums up into this:

1. The type of Nepenthes gracillima people are used to seeing is now called Nepenthes alba (by Stewart MacPherson).
2. All the N. "gracillima" that people grow are N. alba.
3. N. gracillima has not been and is not in cultivation.
4. This is all Stewart's fault (that's debatable... :D)

Why's this? Because Stewart MacPherson found a plant that matches the type specimen of the true N. gracillima. Here's a photo of it. Currently, the plant that Stew found is the real N. gracillima, and the "former gracillima" (all the plants that people currently grow) are a completely different species. Thus, N. alba is now the "old gracillima".

Don't get it, you say? ;)

This = "former" gracillima = alba
This = the type gracillima = true gracillima

That's what Stew thinks, anyways.

Sockhom (Francois Mey) did a good job of summarizing it up on this topic on the LHNN Forum.

Has anyone ever actually achieved uppers on N.Alba?

Back