What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Succumbing to French Roast Pressure . . .

Are there better options if you're like me and don't drink coffee? Since I don't care how it tastes or how well prepared it is, couldn't I just boil the beans on the stovetop? And could I get cheaper beans that no one would want for drinking, but would be fine for fertilization purposes? It'd be nice for some coffee pioneer to work out how to get the cheapest (probably undrinkable) coffee at the lowest price. Or maybe I'll have to be that pioneer.

Are there better options if you're like me and don't drink coffee? Since I don't care how it tastes or how well prepared it is, couldn't I just boil the beans on the stovetop? And could I get cheaper beans that no one would want for drinking, but would be fine for fertilization purposes? It'd be nice for some coffee pioneer to work out how to get the cheapest (probably undrinkable) coffee at the lowest price. Or maybe I'll have to be that pioneer.

You are that pioneer; be that pioneer.

Here, endeth the lesson . . .

I've just used the costco ground coffee and boiled it for a while. Most of my plants seem to love it (even tho I think I cooked it too long this time).
Of course ground vs whole bean I dunno, maybe you have to cook it longer.

Not sure if any of you know about this, but Starbucks has been known to give away large bags of old, ground coffee, specifically for use in gardens or those with no taste buds. Just walk into one of its many tentacles and ask about it.

Last edited:
Just wanted to show an update photo of my coffeed N. villosa
62ad33ca.jpg

Here is the latest update; and for those of you sick and tired of this post, here are the immortal words of my old college girlfriend from Queensland, when scheiß didn't go my way, "Tough darts . . ."

Nepenthes villosa 1 August
NVILLOSA812.jpg

1 September
VILLOSA912.jpg

Wow.... they look amazing!

Look at all them babies.....

Those are coming along very nicely for you BigB!

Thanks for sharing.

dvg

Thank you for sharing! I def see the progress :)

where did you get those plants origanaly villosa macrophylla babies and the ones in the first pic they are sooooooooo nice i saw that they were from seed but wow i could never grow some thing like that from seed wheres the seed from

i recently been looking at rare nep threads on here where does all this seed come from ?all you people out there who grow villosa hamata macrophylla or other rare guys from seed must be masters.
so if i were to do this make a jug of coffee than add some extra water or take a jug 75% full of coffee and fill the rest up with water ?

Last edited:
Here is the latest update; and, just for some perspective on its progress, a shot from May . . .

Nepenthes villosa: 1 May
villosa-6.jpg

1 September
VILLOSA912.jpg

1 October

VILLOSA1210.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Fast growing for sure.

Keep on truckin'..

I really need to get some coffee.

Here is the latest update, along with a pot or two of younger Nepenthes seedlings now getting treated with a good dose of morning French Roast . . .

Nepenthes villosa 1 October
VILLOSA1210.jpg

30 October

VILLOSA-1112.jpg

Nepenthes sp. "A"
NEP-A-2.jpg

NEP-AB-1.jpg

beautiful stuff david! thanks for sharing with us your progress. i've been giving my neps monthly coffee treatments as well. i think that's what was responsible for my RHH's restart in growth.

Thanks, Jon. I had put off using the coffee with the seedlings until fairly recently -- since it not only encourages seedling growth; but the invasive mosses as well . . .

awesome progress! how many coffee doses did the villosas recieve from may until now?

Back