What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Even more new Neps

Only got 1 of the 3 packages I was expecting today. But here's what I got this time..

Not pictured: P.esseriana, P.weser, P.aphrodite

N.stenophylla

100_2838.jpg

N.alata

100_2843.jpg

N. x ventrata #2

100_2841.jpg

Wow you're full steam ahead with the uber hobby! Good Luck Mr. Man.

Jeebis you've got a metric TON of plants!

Ha ha, my stenophylla is about the size of your basal and I've have it for a year or two already. You're really going at it.

Wowman! You got a nice collection already! Keep it up and good growing.

Look at that jungle.... and you start with large plant too.. you gonna be so busy taking pictures when they all pitching for you... I can already imagine the joy when they all pitch for you.

Would be nice to see photos of your "N. alata" again with pitchers. Judging by the leaves though it looks like another N. Ventrata

The last photo N. ventrata #2 looks more N. alata than the previous photo????

Way to go, Mr. Moneybags!!!!! Let me know when you have finished stocking your botanical garden. :-))

Hi Tony:

Long time no hear from you. I hope you and your neps are fine. I wanted to ask you what types of N.alata do you grow.

I have not seen anyone from the U.S growing real alatas

Gus

Yup, it's pretty obvious that the Nep bug has bitten you a good one there, Massmorels.

And nice to see that you have such large Neps to start off with.

The good thing there is you will be getting basals rooted quite quickly and have even more trading material to help you fill your greenhouse.

Great start to this hobby for you. Nice growin'.

Hi Tony:

Long time no hear from you. I hope you and your neps are fine. I wanted to ask you what types of N.alata do you grow.

I have not seen anyone from the U.S growing real alatas

Gus

Hi Gus,

Doing fine. Snow is almost gone so maybe I can actually finish the new greenhouses this year...

As you know, and anyone that's been in the hobby for a while, Deroose has been selling N. ventrata labelled as N. alata for about 25 years now. As a result the great majority of 'N. alata' are actually their N. ventrata instead. It's still a great plant, but a shame that there is so much confusion over it vs the N. alata species. I have a variety of the Mansell clones and maybe one or two of the MT clones.. not sure. Which leads to the next question... are they all N. alata or not. I will leave that to the taxonomists to decide. N. alata is sometimes available here, primarily from cuttings. Sometimes you might come across N. alata from one of the major suppliers via a retailer but there are not alot of N. alata out there in production.

Thanks EVERYONE for the kind words!! Hope I get this kind of response again with tomorrow's new pics and plants. :-O

Would be nice to see photos of your "N. alata" again with pitchers. Judging by the leaves though it looks like another N. Ventrata

The last photo N. ventrata #2 looks more N. alata than the previous photo????

I have them labeled exactly as they came. Only explanation is either your mistaken, or the person that sent them messed up. But I trust she knows which plant is which..

Deroose has been selling N. ventrata labelled as N. alata for about 25 years now. As a result the great majority of 'N. alata' are actually their N. ventrata instead.

bummer.. Well, HELLO to N. x ventrata #3. :-D Wonder if the one labeled as N. x ventrata is actually an N. alata then. :scratch:

Well, Exo you have the real thing. It's also great that you post a photo so people learn what a real alata look like. However, alata has many variants and this is just one of them.
If time allows it, i'll post a photo of my 3 types of alatas i grow.

Cheers,

Gus

That's what mine looks like, too. That's what MM just got a cutting off of.

I'll get pictures later.

Hi Gus,
Deroose has been selling N. ventrata labelled as N. alata for about 25 years now. As a result the great majority of 'N. alata' are actually their N. ventrata instead
Similar situation in the UK. Most garden centres that sell ventrata have them labelled as alata... I really don't understand why the supplier persist in wrongly labelling them.

Back