What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need to mix up a lot of Nep soil. would like input on mix

I end up wasting a lot of soil and never know the ratio of soil components when I mix soil for a pot or two.
So I decided to mix very large amount of intermediate to HL soil.
I would like some experienced nep growers to chime in if possible.
I'm looking for good aeration/drainage with some moister retention.

I have large bags of pine bark nuggets and shredded cedar mulch for the main ingredients
also peat, LFS, black volcanic rock, pearlite, coir, and vermiculite.
can anyone recommend how to do this?
I'm looking to fil a large Rubbermaid container with the mix.
Thanks,
Zero

I have frequently used a mix -- in equal parts -- of live sphagnum moss (if that can be managed), pumice, perlite, orchid bark (and, occasionally vermiculite and charcoal).

Just keep it quick-draining and acidic and you cannot go wrong . . .

I stick with long fiber sphagnum and a coarse grade of orchid bark. The pieces are between 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch across.

I have great success with a mix of 85% pine bark mulch, 15% charcoal, and 10% peat, sometimes I add some lava rock in the bottom of the pot for drainage. For my lowalanders I add a bit more peat and some of my highlanders are in live LFS.

I usually don't like to use more than two ingredients in my mixes. So far 50/50 orchid bark/LFS is proving to be quite sufficient. The reason there is a lot of variability with mixes is because in a more arid climate, you'd ideally want a little more water retention. I grow indoors so gratuitous amounts of LFS aid in humidity. Holds the fertilizer a little longer too I feel between cycles.

The specific mix will depend on your growing conditions. For example, in cooler climates a peat based mix can stay too wet for too long and in hot cliimates LFS can dry out too fast unless humidity is kept high. I would avoid using vermiculite too, as it can become alkaline over time and some Nepenthes might not like that.

I usually don't like to use more than two ingredients in my mixes. So far 50/50 orchid bark/LFS is proving to be quite sufficient. The reason there is a lot of variability with mixes is because in a more arid climate, you'd ideally want a little more water retention. I grow indoors so gratuitous amounts of LFS aid in humidity. Holds the fertilizer a little longer too I feel between cycles.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I personally use whatever's handy plus a large handful of sphagnum.

"Whatever's handy" is usually roughly cut pine bark or cedar mulch. :p

Also if you use organic fertilizers, you can actually revive the LFS within a few weeks. The seaweed in the Maxsea is making it go nuts. Live sphagnum is actually good to use on it's own half the time and since I have orchid bark, thats a plus in the aeration department.

Keep in mind that your nepenthes that you elect to grow will only be as healthy as the roots the plant sits on. I mean a couple exceptions like my N. Gentle, and N. Alata pretty much just grow in straight peat because thats what they came shipped in and I just dressed it with the sphag

Back