What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I breed exotic tarantulas and heat my home with propane. Thus giving me extremely dry air (20% humidity) and a year round warm temp. of 80-85degF. Therefore I give them a humidity boost the easiest way I could think of.

@mm: as a friend, dude, dont take things too personally when it comes to the advice that people give you. plus im guessing you have no idea who tony is, but there's probably a good chance that with a collection of your size, one or two of your plants actually originated from him. i have one of his plants in my collection, and am planning on getting a couple of others from him as well. trust me, he knows what he's talking about.

Wow.. Odd I thought I was being quite polite and asking a serious question as to why so many felt the need to run foggers in enclosed terrariums when in my many years experience excess moisture can cause many problems in the long run and the great majority of Nepenthes and carnivorous plants for that matter do not need high levels of humidity to grow perfectly fine. Seems to me that adding lots of extra moisture and humidity is just asking for trouble sooner or later with root rot or other plant diseases.

Enjoy your picture threads.

@mm: as a friend, dude, dont take things too personally when it comes to the advice that people give you. plus im guessing you have no idea who tony is, but there's probably a good chance that with a collection of your size, one or two of your plants actually originated from him. i have one of his plants in my collection, and am planning on getting a couple of others from him as well. trust me, he knows what he's talking about.

I know who he is.. but there are certain ways to go about giving someone advice. And inadvertently calling them an idiot isn't one of them.

And I gave the simple explanation you seem to be prodding for here Tony. But I guess I need to repeat myself.

I breed exotic tarantulas and heat my home with propane. Thus giving me extremely dry air (20% humidity or less) and a year round warm temp. of 80-85degF. Therefore, I give them a humidity boost the easiest way I can think of.
Also, that's just a temporary box. Again repeating myself.. I'm picking up my 24' x 36' greenhouse later this week.

AND I'VE GOT TO ASK.. what would you expect me to do here Tony? Stick 35 plants in a window sill with 15%-20% humidity at 80degF?? Not to mention a cat and 2 year old running around grabbing everything he can get his little hands on. I think I did pretty damn good for not having a clue what I was doing, not having any money to invest, and having limited space to work with. I'd love to hear any other ideas you may have, just as long as they are within' the guidelines I've had to follow.

Wow!

Jimi says...............Purple Haze.....................

I do hope that is only water vapor........ :p

100_2966.jpg

Wow!

Jimi says...............Purple Haze.....................

I do hope that is only water vapor........ :p

oh crap.. I accidentally hooked the vaporizer up to my grow box instead of my FACE! :headwall:

pS.. HI JIMI!! House the afterlife? Say hey to Morrison for me.

Wow.. Odd I thought I was being quite polite and asking a serious question as to why so many felt the need to run foggers in enclosed terrariums when in my many years experience excess moisture can cause many problems in the long run and the great majority of Nepenthes and carnivorous plants for that matter do not need high levels of humidity to grow perfectly fine. Seems to me that adding lots of extra moisture and humidity is just asking for trouble sooner or later with root rot or other plant diseases.

Enjoy your picture threads.

I agree, it seems a bit....excessive, just out of curiosity though.....what is the level of humidity that you would recommend for neps? I have always heard that they should kept at about 70% at the lowest. :scratch:

I know who he is.. but there are certain ways to go about giving someone advice. And inadvertently calling them an idiot isn't one of them.

And I gave the simple explanation you seem to be prodding for here Tony. But I guess I need to repeat myself.

I breed exotic tarantulas and heat my home with propane. Thus giving me extremely dry air (20% humidity or less) and a year round warm temp. of 80-85degF. Therefore, I give them a humidity boost the easiest way I can think of.
Also, that's just a temporary box. Again repeating myself.. I'm picking up my 24' x 36' greenhouse later this week.

AND I'VE GOT TO ASK.. what would you expect me to do here Tony? Stick 35 plants in a window sill with 15%-20% humidity at 80degF?? Not to mention a cat and 2 year old running around grabbing everything he can get his little hands on. I think I did pretty damn good for not having a clue what I was doing, not having any money to invest, and having limited space to work with. I'd love to hear any other ideas you may have, just as long as they are within' the guidelines I've had to follow.

You don't know when to quit do you. First lets get it straight. I never called you or anyone else either directly or "inadvertently" an idiot. I simply asked a question as to why you and many others felt the need to run foggers/misters in ENCLOSED terrariums? When in my experience it isn't necessary and is more likely to cause problems with excess moisture. Your first response was to blow me off with some glib answer that doesn't give me one little bit of information to help understand better.
It's easy, it works, and it's all I have.. My plants are happy and so am I.

Apparently it's too much to give me answers to my questions to help me understand and much easier to scream at me for "hijacking" your picture thread and make unfounded claims I am calling you an idiot.

Repeating yourself? You didn't bother to give me any useful information to my questions until I asked a second time. Greenhouse? Temporary "box" What are you talking about. I didn't read anything prior to my first post about a greenhouse or temporary "box"

What would I have you Do? Do what you want. I don't care what you do. I most certainly never said you had to do anything different. Nor have I ever made a negative comment or critisize your situation or your grow area. I was trying to gain some insight into the situation by asking someone who feels the need for a fogger in an enclosed terrarium. Apparently I asked the wrong person to explain to me why they thought it was necessary!

So as I said last night. Enjoy your picture thread...

I have always heard that they should kept at about 70% at the lowest. :scratch:

I keep my entire collection (see growlist) in ambient 30-40% humidity all the time with much success. (Many) Nepenthes are great at adapting to low humidity environments. I am actually a huge proponent for not keep Nepenthes boxed up in terrariums, and have had much success growing them out in the open.

I keep my entire collection (see growlist) in ambient 30-40% humidity all the time with much success. (Many) Nepenthes are great at adapting to low humidity environments. I am actually a huge proponent for not keep Nepenthes boxed up in terrariums, and have had much success growing them out in the open.

Most of yours are hybrids though, and hybrids are known to be more resillient than species......I am curious about the rafflesiana and the ampullaria though...

My cheap humidity meter tells me it's around 80% most of the time around my plants, but my moss turns crispy the day after I water so I'm inclined to think it's lower, of course I do live right on the coast. All of my plants pitcher and do well in that when they get at least 4-5 hours direct sunshine through the windows (with less they don't pitcher). Except for the ampullaria...hates the cool weather and I'm working on killing one right now :-(

Massmorels: That scorp is looking the worse for wear - did it hate the shipping? The moss on that roseana is looking real nice though ;-).

Massmorels: That scorp is looking the worse for wear - did it hate the shipping? The moss on that roseana is looking real nice though ;-).

The sprouts are doing great.. The larger ones haven't changed since I got it. So I clipped those today to make room for the babies coming up. And the moss is boomed on all of them.. The spatulata has just about disappeared in it's moss.

now that i look at your scorps... while i have no doubt that the stalked plants are indeed scorpioides, the leaves on the lower plants seem to not have that "scorpioid" shape to them, and resemble more like baby capensis to me. ???

It's tough to tell from this angle.. but there are indeed scorpiode babies. And you get a gold star.. because yes, all of the rest are indeed capensis babies.

2-7.jpg

As for the Ping, you're doing it wrong; desert Pings do better on the dry side, especially when it comes to cuttings/pullings. When the mother plant fills to the edges of the pot, you can hide leaf pullings underneath it, unburied, and just wait for roots/a plantlet at the base of the old leaf. Otherwise, a technique that still amazes me years after I heard of it is to take a paper towel or two, wad it up, make a little cup out of it and put your pullings inside. Mist the paper towel, not the leaves, once every week or so if you see them start to wilt. (Your house is hotter than many, maybe more for you.) Just remember - in the desert these guys only see soaking conditions when there are seasonal storms, or sometimes very rarely. If it's wet chances are they have seeds that will sprout. The leaves are optimized to withstand drying, not wet rot.
Mass - you have to understand where guru types like Tony are coming from. He's heard from dozens, hundreds, maybe thousands of idiots griping because they did a setup like yours, thinking it necessary or beneficial, and instead killed their plants with kindness. In your case - an unusual household climate for most - you may be onto something, and this is probably the easy path while you're learning. But you represent a small demographic next to the volume of people who jump in without doing research and pester folks like Tony into jaded indignance with their trivial mistakes. (I know you've looked through eBay buyer responses before... sometimes it's painful.) If you don't give those guys a break you'll never get a good chance at learning from them; experts have usually put enough into the grind that they've earned some right to be cranky.
Tony - I think you're maybe guilty of a little myopia too. Mass is just getting into the hobby, and is working against some unusual odds. I see room for improvement too but an important part of learning is hands-on. You can't be too surprised at Mass' reaction to your largely rhetorical question. From his perspective, it's not hard for me to imagine where that could be taken as ritucule or a challenge. He's just hacked something together to start - how's he supposed to know why people use terrariums unnecessarily? If I didn't know you better I'd almost think that was a troll.
While we're still not too far from the musical references - why can't we be friends? ;P
~Joe

I think many though don't give Nepenthes credit for their ability to grow and pitcher just fine in fairly dry air...
Try telling my ampullaria and glabrata that. They refuse to pitcher and they grow exremely poorly when kept in fairly dry air, even under 14hours/day lighting.

I breed exotic tarantulas and heat my home with propane. Thus giving me extremely dry air (20% humidity) and a year round warm temp. of 80-85degF. Therefore I give them a humidity boost the easiest way I could think of.

Thanks Seedjar for your effort. Perhaps I am a bit myopic and old and cranky! Sorry if my posts came across that way. They were certainly not intended that way. My first post could be taken as rhetorical but quite clearly my second post states I don't understand and what am I missing. His follow up post was hardly benign.. What you don't see is the other 75% of this post that was edited out with him going off on me. At least it isn't there anymore but I did read it prior to the edit. Nor did he answer half the questions I had to help me understand better. IE I am still uncertain if the grow chamber is enclosed or open top which would make a difference. I asked and got no answer.... I am always interested to hear from people that do things differently. Many times I have made adjustments or tried new things myself for my situation based on others experiences. For example I have many more Nepenthes sititng on my vairous windowsills now because of Elgecko. All of which are doing quite well despite a wood stove runnning all Winter and very low RH up here in the frigid sub Canada cold air. This includes a red N. ampullaria Mobile. A couple didn't pitcher for a couple months but are pitchering again now and I haven't changed anything. Maybe the RH is a little higher but it is still only 45%. The days are longer now, just over 12hrs, and the sun is warmer.. so I am lead to think it was the short days, colder temperature and low light levels that caused the pitchers to cease in the first place. So I am afraid I don't know why you are finding different results with yours Mobile. Perhaps it is the form of N. ampullaria? Some appear to handle harsher environments better than others.

Anyway, that is all I have to say. If anyone else wants to discuss with me please start a new thread or email me. I don't wish to continue discussion here.

I apologize for my short fuse that day. I just felt as though it was a personal attack on my lack of experience. I've done a few "Help Me" threads on this grow chamber to get it where it's at now, and I guess your response just frustrated me. And the somewhat arrogant approach you took just set me off.. And I did delete the part where I went off on you, because I new it was uncalled for. Again, I apologize.
If you care to see the chamber in it's entirety, there's a section on it in my "nooby" webpage.. But like I said before, I had zero dollars to invest and had to use junk from around the house. So be gentle in your critiquing.

http://massmorels.com/images/Plants/GrowBox/grow_box.htm

Back