What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

styrofoam instead of perlite??

i was wondering if styrofoam will work to replace perlite considering that ive been looking online and in stores for perlite and havent found it without any nutrients under 30$.

that's funny because andrew's shop (flytrapshop.com) has perlite. but being beside the point, did you search through the forums? because i think i've seen a thread on this very topic already. too lazy to find it though. i think the overall response was that styrofoam can be a substitute for perlite because of its light consistency and inert nature.

yea i saw it but for that little amount of perlite (sharing with my little cousin) i dont think it would last very long considering the price. im currently unemployed so yes im being very cheap. i was just wondering if the styrofoam's chemicals would be released into the moss when watered or just by the heat?...basically is it safe for the plant?

I would suggest just to pay for the perlite and not use styrofoam. I do not have any experience with styrofoam and peat mixed together but what I do know is that styrofoam is made of polystyrene- a petrolium based plastic. I think petrolium mixed with your CP's is a bad combination. Also, you have to think you will be leaving that mixture in your plants for at least 1 year. I think the styrofoam might leak out. This is just my opinion.

i just want something to aeriate the roots efficiently temporarily.

go ahead, i have used styro peanuts as the drainage layer in dart frog tanks.....no issues......well so long as tou hit them with water and make sure you dont have the biodegradable ones......

@jag wouldnt there be little to no problem considering the styrofoam isnt biodegradeable to begin with?

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

i no longer need to replace perlite seeing as i just found a local vendor. itd still be nice to know what others think about using styrofoam. because im sure any new people might wonder the same thing on the duck basis.

Like I said those were just my opinions and had no facts to it but you do have a good point. This is a good question that I am not just throwing out. Time to experiment!! :)

lol good luck. thankfully i found perlite and it ended up being right down the street.

If, Like other "plastics",
exposure to the sun will degrade the styrofoam more
and faster.
I would assume that during breakdown, chemical compounds will be
changing and that some noxious chemicals "may" be present.
If they are bad enough to harm a plant, or generations of plants,
is the question.

Like others, I have either used or had bought something that did have
styrofoam in the planting mixture. In my own experience, I did not
notice any bad effects, however I find the product too light to work with
as it wants to come out of mixture, floating horribly when watering a loose
mixture. And again, it is on the surface where the sunlight hits the mixture,
potentially encouraging the styrofoam to breakdown.

I do avoid using it, as I said I don't like the way it functions... :puke:
HOWEVER I do sometimes place pieces of styrofoam in the bottom of a
pot, when I don't have anything else on hand to use or waste in the bottom
of a pot. (I don't like to waste too much Chilean Sphagnum moss just to line
the bottom of a pot!)
So far, no bad side effects, and it is a way to use something that would otherwise
go to land-fill.
Good Luck and good growing!
Paul

You do know perlite is a rock right?

I actually went to the guys house and picked up a bag. It's a great deal for only around $30 including shipping. No nutients and the perlite particle size is rather large compared to the little store bought bags. You'll be happy you got it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Krum-Horticultu...ItemQQimsxZ20100306?IMSfp=TL100306174006r4744

Wow that's only a hour from my house. Too bad I didn't find this earlier.

I know you already got perlite but I would consider sand before styrofoam.

You could also use lava rock? I too, noticed the pricing of perlite so I just started throwing in a handful in my pots to mix up. I have an N. Alata which is just growing in straight out of the bag "orchid mix" (without mychorrhizae).

You could also use lava rock? I too, noticed the pricing of perlite so I just started throwing in a handful in my pots to mix up. I have an N. Alata which is just growing in straight out of the bag "orchid mix" (without mychorrhizae).

Sure, I use lava rock in several of my neps, if the pieces are too large just break them up with a hammer.

SSS,
If you can find a local hydroponics supply center near you, you can probably get a 4cu.ft bag of perlite, but indeed this guys prices are better ($13 vs about $18-20).

And I have occasionally used Lava rock, however the size I can get to use, and the handling of the sharp pieces doesn't appeal to me as well. While perlite does have disadvantages (the dust, sometimes the size, breaking up, floating, etc...) I have sometimes replaced it with APS or its less expensive equivalents.

Since the post started with using styrofoam, I would have to say that I have received other plants with styro in the mix, and I am not fond of it. Perhaps using it in the bottoms of pots would be alright with me, but having it float to the surface is annoying. Even it moving about, and the difficulty of static electricity adhering it to things I don't want it stuck to is annoying enough for me to not use it unless I have absolutely no alternative.
Being lightweight is good when filling a gallon+ pot with media, but a small pot that is real light tends to fall over! So while it may have its place, it is not something I would generally choose. As far as being toxic and such, I wouldn't be afraid to use it, so long as you are not going to eat the plants you grow in it! The nursery industry has used broken up styrofoam for years, and I have not heard any reports on it being banned or anything.
I also would hesitate using it on a plant that cost me a ton of money, just in case!

Oh yea, ( :offtopic: ) I am truly impressed at how greatly it is possible, to totally miss the point of a conversation on so many threads.! It must take a great deal of real effort and work, to so consistently "avoid" saying something of even remote pertinence, in relation to the current subject at hand!

Even worse however, I am truly dumbfounded into a state of total shock, at other times when I see this happen, and I discover that I cannot attribute it to age as the possible cause!
:headwall:

Back