What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vining and cuttings questions

I have a ventricosa that is starting to vine. It's about a foot tall. It's got tons of leaves with tendrils, but they aren't inflating. The pitcher production stopped about the time the vining started. Is this common? I seem to remember reading somewhere that neps sometimes stop pitchering when they start vining, but can't remember where.

About cuttings: has anyone tried just taking one cutting, then waiting for a node to activate on the mother plant, taking another cutting, repeat, etc.? Also, do the cuttings need particularly high light levels or humidity? The mother plant is sitting on a windowsill and growing like a weed.

Thanks!

not sure with ventricosa but some neps really slow down pitcher production when they vine.....my bongso has 6 feet of vine and no pitchers.....

I have taken successful single-node cuttings -- if that's what you're getting at -- on many occasions; and, depending upon the given Nepenthes, they do eventually get spindly and pitcher less frequently at that "creeping vine" stage. I had a similar problem with a sprawling N. hamata a few years ago and severely trimmed it back.

In terms of rooting Nepenthes cuttings, try to give them the same conditions as the "parent" plant -- within reason . . .

Nepenthes hamata
NHyoungcuttng.jpg

My ventricosa is doing the same thing. But it sent out a flower so you may want to wait for that...

I have taken successful single-node cuttings -- if that's what you're getting at -- on many occasions; and, depending upon the given Nepenthes, they do eventually get spindly and pitcher less frequently at that "creeping vine" stage. I had a similar problem with a sprawling N. hamata a few years ago and severely trimmed it back.

In terms of rooting Nepenthes cuttings, try to give them the same conditions as the "parent" plant -- within reason . . .

Nepenthes hamata
NHyoungcuttng.jpg

That's very interesting BB, I've always wondered about how much of the leaf/leaves to cut when rooting a cutting and this shows it perfectly. Thanks for the picture!

not sure with ventricosa but some neps really slow down pitcher production when they vine.....my bongso has 6 feet of vine and no pitchers.....

geeze i wish my bongso had 6 feet of vine <_< xD
a friend of mine has about a 9 footer now and it has a nice group of uppers and lowers from basals...its quite the gorgeous plant in person

That's very interesting BB, I've always wondered about how much of the leaf/leaves to cut when rooting a cutting and this shows it perfectly.

Thanks . . .

The usual method involves slicing the Nepenthes leaves in half and then cutting its stem perpendicularly (or alternatively, splitting the base of the stem to form a fork to further expose the cambium). Clonex or Rootone greatly improves the chances of it taking, particularly with the touchier species, some of which can take months to take root . . .

That's sort of what I'm saying. It's good to know that one-node cuttings can work...what I'm really asking is can you take a single cutting, then wait for a node on the mother plant to activate, then take another single cutting, wait for another node to activate...etc., instead of taking a bunch of cuttings at once. I think this is suggested somewhere in the savage garden.

So should rooting cuttings on a windowsill be considered "within reason" if that's where the mother plant lives?

Also, is there any reason to wait until the plant is significantly bigger? I'd like to have some pitchers, otherwise it's just a green shrub in my window!

That's sort of what I'm saying. It's good to know that one-node cuttings can work...what I'm really asking is can you take a single cutting, then wait for a node on the mother plant to activate, then take another single cutting, wait for another node to activate...etc., instead of taking a bunch of cuttings at once. I think this is suggested somewhere in the savage garden.

So should rooting cuttings on a windowsill be considered "within reason" if that's where the mother plant lives?

Also, is there any reason to wait until the plant is significantly bigger? I'd like to have some pitchers, otherwise it's just a green shrub in my window!

You could conceivably take the cuttings in that manner -- waiting for that node -- or take off an entire length of vine. It depends your personal tastes, upon the size of the plant in question, and how many cuttings you desire. There is no need for a "green shrub" on the windowsill.

I would take the cuttings in the manner suggested, wrap / rubber band sphagnum moss around the (Rootone or Clonex-treated) cuttings, and keep them in a large ventilated zip-lock bag in a warm area with good lighting, and wait for evidence of new growth. A place on the windowsill -- provided that the cuttings don't overheat -- should be just fine.

Good luck . . .

Back