What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cindy

Staff member
N. hirsuta - never a popular species in collections
March17.jpg

N.rafflesiana, N. ampullaria, N. kuchingensis, N. khasiana x viking, N. mirabilis var echinostoma
March18.jpg

New additions - N. lowii x campanulata, N. treubiana
March19.jpg

Youngsters - N. bentonei, N. adnata, N. longifolia
March16.jpg

N. rowanae (assorted forms)
March15.jpg

N. gracilis 'spotted squat', N. gracilis 'black'
March14.jpg

N. sp Viking - love the globous pitchers
March13.jpg

N. albomarginata 'purple-black' (EP), N. albomarginata 'black' (MT) - just to share the distinct differences in the upper pitchers
March12.jpg

Quite an impressive array of lowlanders Cindy. Nice pics too.

Well done!:-D

dvg

Nice, thanks for sharing! Particularly love that albo on the left - the dark brings out the white stripe so nicely.

Wow! :-O

Your hirsuta looks to be a hispida to me. My hirsuta clone from BE happened to be a hispida as well. The species are very similar. >.<

Oh, and Viking is now mirabilis var. globosa... personally, I think that Viking is still different enough from mirabilis to be different species.

Beautiful plants, well photographed; thanks for sharing!

Wow! :-O

Your hirsuta looks to be a hispida to me. My hirsuta clone from BE happened to be a hispida as well. The species are very similar. >.<

Oh, and Viking is now mirabilis var. globosa... personally, I think that Viking is still different enough from mirabilis to be different species.

Hi Clue,

I have my doubts too...I'll ask the Nepenthes gurus for a possible ID. Thanks!

Very nice N. hirsuta/hispada. Have never grown it, but I think the pitchers are great on this species. May have to pick this plant up and start growing. Can see why it got its name as it is very hairy/more hairy than my veitchii. I have also heard it is a very easy lowlander? Singapore has the perfect lowland conditions. I do here where I live about 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months of winter my lowlanders struggle even with a heater in the greenhouse. This winter has been particularly cold even in the southern US this year. Anyhow, very good growing.

im also inclined to believe your hirsuta is really a hispida, its an easy mix up obviously if the big heads can mix it up ;)

can i get a shot of the leaf attachment and leaves itself? i can get a better idea as the leaves are the best way to describe it since the indumentum can be very similar between the two but is generally quite a bit longer in hispida rather than hirsuta...hirsuta being 1-2mm in length, hispida is 1.5-4mm i believe if the description serves right in my memory.

hirsutas leaves are also sub-petiolate....
i remember there being a debate about this somewhere....

EDIT
actually i can see the leaves quite a bit better on my bigger screen, that is almost definitely a hispida and not hirsuta....the leaf is not sub-petiolate, and the indumentum appears to fit the description alot more to hispida than hirsuta

Here is a pic of how the leaves are attached.

leaf_attachment.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Hairs are brown and short; not too bristly - hirsuta
Leaf bases not completely clasping the stem - hirsuta

The plant seems to be N. hirsuta...

aye ive gone and mixed up some of the IDs with one another lol ;)

such closely related species in this case, imo should be lumped together and put as extreme variations of one another.....like hamata and tentaculata or the whole maxima group...
that newest shot screams hirsuta to me...

Here is a pic of how the leaves are attached.

leaf_attachment.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Hairs are brown and short; not too bristly - hirsuta
Leaf bases not completely clasping the stem - hirsuta

The plant seems to be N. hirsuta...

If the leaves are sub-petiolate to petiolate, the plant is near certainly hirsuta... however, it doesn't really show pitchers like textbook hirsuta. I should give up while I'm still ahead. :p

If we described species only by pitchers, I found ten new species in my collection. The million dollar question is "where do we draw the line?" for describing new ones.

Back