What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy Varieties From Seed

What are some of the easier varieties to start from seed?

I have no preferences other than easy ( will try others after some success), and something that will do well in a home once mature.

I am still waiting at almost 10months on my first attempt of ~100 seeds of N. Thorelii x Raff. :(

TIA

N.ventricosa is easy to grow from seed and so is ampullaria.

Though i haven't grown a lot of Neps from seed, I have had good success with N. fusca seed.

dvg

I have grown perhaps ten Nepenthes species and hybrids from seed over the years -- primarily highlanders; and none of them posed any real difficulty -- though some took several months to germinate (seven was about the longest in my experience). I recall having received seed over Christmas break, one year, while at college, and seeing tiny plantlets only by mid-June. By that point, I had almost tossed the pots.

Of far more importance than any given Nepenthes species or hybrid, is the freshness of the seed. After only a few weeks, germination rates steeply decline . . .

Nepenthes hamata -- Seed-grown from 2007
NHAMATA-B.jpg

Back