What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some Nepenthes you just cant seem to get right?

i do not like the sass my talangensis is giving me right now, my aristo i believe has gone into temporary suspension---dont know if the latest tendril is going to inflate just yet, but it did complete developing it's last pitcher from its arrival.

im betting that my baby hamata, villosa, and jaq are going to give me plenty-o-sass as well.

Does anybody want my talangensis then lol. Based on what I found on this forum, I have little to no hope for it at all. I got it for the same price as my Alata no less which grows circles around it. I understand what people say when it's a slow grower, 1 month and no sign of even pitchering. I have one new leaf. I have no idea how some of you guys do it. Fertilizer or not, this thing is slow. Wish I had some pitchers on it to feed.

I guess I've killed a ventricosa or two in my day. They don't seem to get along. I'm just finally getting one to grow. To be fair I am just getting back into Nepenthes and still expanding my collection.

only 3 neps. talangensis, aristo and worst of all... N. mira. my talangensis never grew a pitcher. my aristo grew great then got mites then recovered, then stopped growing, then rotted from the top down. but the mira is my biggest pain. it have been literally the same size since march of 07. it grows pitchers very well but none more than 1.5in tall. and it has a seedling sized root ball.... recently repotted into a fresh and more open mix and it hasnt changed at all. i might have to eventually trade it off because its just taking up room now.

Alex

Does anybody want my talangensis then lol. Based on what I found on this forum, I have little to no hope for it at all. I got it for the same price as my Alata no less which grows circles around it. I understand what people say when it's a slow grower, 1 month and no sign of even pitchering. I have one new leaf. I have no idea how some of you guys do it. Fertilizer or not, this thing is slow. Wish I had some pitchers on it to feed.

*raises hand*

I have the patience, and if you like dews, I can get some leaf cuttings for you. Next BACPS meet if you're going? :-O

I hope (knock on wood) that my rajah will grow nicely. I got it today and it has two growth points and a few inflating pitchers. :-D

My Nep. spectabilis is being stubborn producing pitchers for me. I have it going on a year and it has only produced 1 pitcher since then. It seems the pitchers start forming but die. The leaves are growing nicely though... It is one of my windowsill plants so, I'm hoping with the arrival of longer days, it will begin growing normal pitchers.

N. ventricosa, supposed to be a bomb-proof species :-)) Gah! I'll never fall for that again ;)

Whoa! Chris Himself....
I am a little confused now....
in your other thread: N. Talangensis
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=966857#post966857 (Post #10)
you corrected me about this plant, saying:
I think feeding has induced pitchering on my Talangensis. I have no shortage of pitchers and my pitchers grow as big as the leaves do....

But here you write:
Does anybody want my talangensis then lol. Based on what I found on this forum, I have little to no hope for it at all. ...my Alata... grows circles around it. I understand what people say when it's a slow grower, 1 month and no sign of even pitchering! I have one new leaf. I have no idea how some of you guys do it. Fertilizer or not, this thing is slow. Wish I had some pitchers on it to feed.

So what is going on? I stood corrected, but now I don't understand what you are saying, as your posts seem to conflict each other.
(I am going on 4 hours sleep, so I am sure I am just not understanding something simple, but it would be nice to know what the situation really is. If you have no shortage of it pitchering, why do you say "1 month and no sign of even pitchering".) I don't get it!

I know I may be interpreting things incorrectly, especially in my current state of mind, but in one post you are implying that the plant isn't doing well, and in the other, that it is doing great! Maybe someone can tell me if it reads this way or not to them too. We are talking about Talangensis in both... and there isn't mention of a second Talangensis plant....

Well, I am going to take a nap. This is all too much for me to understand!

Oh, as far as a Nep. I can't seem to get right.... I really wouldn't make that kind of statement. Some tiny plants like BBella's Jac & Villosa have been tricky for me also, and while the baby Jac I have isn't out of danger yet, my Villosa is finally coming along, but I know things can be very unpredictable. For example, I had a Bical going great for about 5 years, even thru neglect and bad mojo, (I used to throw hunks of it away as I didn't know who to give it to!) but when I "messed with things" a few years ago to "improve" my lighting and humidification in that terrarium, the Bical died outright! (Even going back to the old lighting and humidifying system was too late. By the time I saw the damage, it was too late!)
So, again, as far as "a Nep I can't seem to get right", that implies trying repeatedly with one type, and repeatedly failing.
As for me, I am trying another Bical or two. (Sometimes a plants death is simply my own fault too, as I have my life interfering with my growing activities at times. That has nothing to do with a difficult plant, as opposed to life getting in the way!)

Good luck all!

Last edited:
Whoa! Chris Himself....
I am a little confused now....
in your other thread: N. Talangensis
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=966857#post966857
you corrected me about this plant, saying:
I think feeding has induced pitchering on my Talangensis. I have no shortage of pitchers and my pitchers grow as big as the leaves do....

But here you write:
Does anybody want my talangensis then lol. Based on what I found on this forum, I have little to no hope for it at all. ...my Alata... grows circles around it. I understand what people say when it's a slow grower, 1 month and no sign of even pitchering! I have one new leaf. I have no idea how some of you guys do it. Fertilizer or not, this thing is slow. Wish I had some pitchers on it to feed.

So what is going on? I stood corrected, but now I don't understand what you are saying, as your posts seem to conflict each other.
(I am going on 4 hours sleep, so I am sure I am just not understanding something simple, but it would be nice to know what the situation really is. If you have no shortage of it pitchering, why do you say "1 month and no sign of even pitchering".) I don't get it!

I know I may be interpreting things incorrectly, especially in my current state of mind, but in one post you are implying that the plant isn't doing well, and in the other, that it is doing great! Maybe someone can tell me if it reads this way or not to them too. We are talking about Talangensis in both... and there isn't mention of a second Talangensis plant....

Well, I am going to take a nap. This is all too much for me to understand!

Oh, as far as a Nep. I can't seem to get right.... I really wouldn't make that kind of statement. Some tiny plants like BBella's Jac & Villosa have been tricky for me also, and while the baby Jac I have isn't out of danger yet, my Villosa is finally coming along, but I know things can be very unpredictable. For example, I had a Bical going great for about 5 years, even thru neglect and bad mojo, (I used to throw hunks of it away as I didn't know who to give it to!) but when I "messed with things" a few years ago to "improve" my lighting and humidification in that terrarium, the Bical died outright! (Even going back to the old lighting and humidifying system was too late. By the time I saw the damage, it was too late!)
So, again, as far as "a Nep I can't seem to get right", that implies trying repeatedly with one type, and repeatedly failing.
As for me, I am trying another Bical or two. (Sometimes a plants death is simply my own fault too, as I have my life interfering with my growing activities at times. That has nothing to do with a difficult plant, as opposed to life getting in the way!)

Good luck all!

I was basically impatient and I had no idea the plant was slower than other species. I actually assumed most highland neps more or less grew at the same rate. In the other thread I found out I'm actually on course from everybody else and I'm just trying to trade off a rather healthy plant in excellent condition.

My Nep. spectabilis is being stubborn producing pitchers for me. I have it going on a year and it has only produced 1 pitcher since then. It seems the pitchers start forming but die. The leaves are growing nicely though... It is one of my windowsill plants so, I'm hoping with the arrival of longer days, it will begin growing normal pitchers.

My spec. took about a year to settle in. Once it had, it started pitchering fairly regularly. Hang in there.

My spec. took about a year to settle in. Once it had, it started pitchering fairly regularly. Hang in there.

That's what I'm hoping, as spectabilis is my favorite nep.

I can't wait for my Nep. miranda to start pitchering. I bought it at a local nursery. They had 2 there for $30 a piece. I couldn't believe the low price on such a large Nep. It is in a 8" hanging pot and really should be repotted and some cuttings taken. The largest pitcher on it when I purchased it last month was about 12"-13". The tendrils are growing, so hopefully I have some pitchers soon. It has also put out about 3 new leaves since I purchased it. It probably has 4 or 5 growing points.

That's what I'm hoping, as spectabilis is my favorite nep.

I can't wait for my Nep. miranda to start pitchering. I bought it at a local nursery. They had 2 there for $30 a piece. I couldn't believe the low price on such a large Nep. It is in a 8" hanging pot and really should be repotted and some cuttings taken. The largest pitcher on it when I purchased it last month was about 12"-13". The tendrils are growing, so hopefully I have some pitchers soon. It has also put out about 3 new leaves since I purchased it. It probably has 4 or 5 growing points.

Wow that thing sounds amazing, pics? Mine is in an 8" pot too but it's only got like 6" pitchers and about a 16" leaf span.

ive got a couple of spectabilis....my north sumatra clone never skipped a beat while my pangulobau clone took a bit to settle in....

its one of my favorite species as well....cant beat that peristome and pitcher coloration lol ;)

Back