What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
What are some new genetic theories you guys have been day dreaming about?

I did this a year ago figured it was time for a new one.

Here's some I just thought of...

N. edwardsiana x boschiana

N. northiana x burbidgeae (maybe that exists?)

N clipeata x rajah

N. (edwardsiana x truncata black) x (edwardsiana x truncata black)

Well here are a few I'd love to see just for curiosities sake:

N. truncata x edwardsiana
N. edwardsiana x veitchii (H/L)
N. hamata x bicalcarata
N. truncata x attenboroughii
N. veitchii (H/L) x attenboroughii
N. truncata x rajah
N. spectabilis x attenboroughii
Upper pitchers on a N. rafflesiana x edwardsiana

Any complex hybrids of the above simple hybrids.

I'm sure there's more but this is good for now LOL

N. spectabilis x hamata

and since we're just dreaming..

spectabilis x cephalotus :-D

I don't usually get in on these threads,
but since you have taken it this far and
crossed anything with anything....

N. Villosa x N. Hamata [Hamosa Villata]!

and then cross that with the B-52 VFT of course!

Thus making [Hungry Hamosa Villata] !

N.northiana x burbidgeae

N.rajah x hamata

N.jacqulineae x hamata

N.burbidgeae x truncata

N.burbidgea x hamata

N.bicalcarata x rajah

N. Northiana x veichi x rajah

N. spectabilis x burbidgeae

Nepenthes Hamata with Nepenthes Veitchii

I wonder what the peritsome(?) on this would look like?

Well if you look at what happens with other hamata crosses such as x predator, then I would bet that the peristome would be pretty similar to that, probably a lot less toothy than we'd like to expect. Still would be nuts though!

I agree on Hamata x bicalcarata. That would be an awesomely vigorous plant probably an intermediate and it would HAVE to have some kind of teeth on it SOMEwhere.

lowii x rajah
hamata x lowii
jamban x lowii

Veitchii x hamata is a bad idea, IMO. Due to hamata, the veitchii influence in the peristome would be about nil. The two perstomes are just so vastly different I'd expect that it would come out with a normally shaped peristome and grow like a cool-growing veitchii. Same with hamata x bicalcarata, except it would be warm-growing.

There was a topic by DrWurm a while back that was about the same. I want a stenophylla x aristolochioides (think of the possibilities!) and cross some of them to truncata and some to campanulata to get monster pitchers and a campy shape, respectively.

So:
stenophylla x aristolochioides
(stenophylla x aristolochioides) x truncata
(stenophylla x aristolochiodes) x campanulata

How about Hamata and Ventricosa?

Could've just bumped the old thread, but ok.

Inermix x Jacq/jamban.

N. campanulata x jacquelineae

N. campanulata x jamban

N. campanulata x dubia
Haha~

I would like to see what (xCincta x hamata) x hamata looks like.

Clue I think there would be some teeth in a hamata x bicalcarata cross because the teeth on bicalcarata are still technically part of the peristome. Unfortunately there haven't been any crosses that I know of between two truly toothy species other than maybe x harryana which is still an extremely toothy plant, but obviously the two parents are very closely related, so who's to say whether or not that will hold true with two toothy plants that are distinctively unrelated, like bical and hamata, or hamata and edwardsiana.

Food for thought! It makes me want to buy all those different species right now, If only I had the space and the resources.

---------- Post added at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

lowii x rajah

Maybe you've already seen this but here's the reverse cross, rajah x lowii :

http://nepenthesnouen.web.infoseek.co.jp/rajahxlowii.jpg

In xpredator the hamata gene shrank the peristome very slightly, if at all. If you were to cross a hamata with a veitchii, no doubt you would still get some flare from the veitchii, but with a bit of the hamata ridges and hopefully some of the dusky coloration. EP did talangensis x hamata a while back, and that's pretty much what happened. Of course, these hamata crosses could all go the way of "sibuyanensis x hamata"... but don't start a debate about that here!

How about Hamata and Ventricosa?

OMG!!!! Finally someone says this!!! lol

Wow, this is crazy. How time flies!

My own specimen. ;) N. ventricosa x hamata

DSCN6816.jpg

Anyway, I think I just came up with my own personal ultimate dream hybrid. Two obscure and bizarre species:

N. argentii

Nepenthes_argentii_17_enhanced.jpg

x

N. glandulifera

glandulifera.jpg

Please somebody make this hybrid, or I will spend my whole life trying to do so!

Last edited:
Looks interesting . . .
Don't worry, I'll try to make it a hybrid :D .

Back