What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

watering frequency & mix used

thez_yo

instigator
I use a 2/3 cocohusk, 1/3 lfs, and a handful of perlite sometimes mixture (I try to aim for 3/4 cocohusk, 1/4 lfs but somehow it just doesn't work out) for my neps, and their mix is pretty much crispy on top by the end of the week, though I think it's kind of moist in the middle of the pot. I end up watering once a week because I'm afraid of root rot/fungus attacks, but I think I may be not watering enough. I'm thinking of going to twice a week or every 5 days, and am finally investing in some humidity/drip trays that I'll be attaching some piping to, as drain-trays. This way I don't have to water over the sink/tub/outside, and can just circulate the water around a few times in the plants instead of it just draining into the grass/down the drain (I use 0ppm RO).

I *won't* be misting the plants at all and I think my humidity is pretty low (cheap meter says 70% but I don't trust it), but it would be nice to know if you do (or if your humidity is just high). I'm thinking of watering the Phals/Cats/Paphs 2X a week too - they're all in bark/perlite/charcoal mixes without any lfs in it (good idea? bad idea?).

Long story short: what's your mix, and how often do you water it?

My mix depends on the nep, but usually contains pine mulch, lava rock, charcoal, and a little peat. Some plants are in live LFS. Watering depends on humidity, stuff in LFS almot never needs water, I just heavily mist the top of the moss every day and that is about it. Stuff in the other mix gets watered about once a week, the ones I keep as hous plants get watered 3 times a week.

Back