What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. thorelli "King Tiger" update

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow
I wonder if it was the shock of the burn that made it put out so many growth points, like a survival technique. ??? I've counted 9 growth points so far..

BEFORE:

100_2725.jpg

AFTER:

KT1.jpg

Anyone ever seen a pitcher grow like this without a tendril??

KT.jpg

Last edited:
is that a pitcher growing straight from the leaf??

Geez if burning plants does that to them, I'm about to throw all my plants in a fishtank outside tommorow!

Also I've never even seen an N. Thorelli before, that foliage is killer. I've never seen a pitcher-leaf either, you should probably take more pictures. This could be a once in a lifetime phenomenon?

Last edited:
nice,
I have had the same thing happen when a nep gets stressed and dies back.

ok so before some people get the wrong idea
A. that is not the true thorelii, the true thorelii is not in cultivation and has been lost for over a hundred years until a couple of kids poached a huge population that they found recently.

B. the leaf attached to the pitcher, the pitchers have reverted to the protopitcher stage (similar to the first leaves we see on seedlings, so not not all that crazy)

C. im pretty sure that this is one of those indochinese species with a tuberous like root system, wait till it gets mature, youll see what i mean.

But on another note, great job rescuing the plant MM, if it is one of the indochinese species with a tuber, you can expect that this plant will probably go through dieback phases and have somewhat of a dormancy, you should read up on indochinese species for more info on this as i am not the one to really teach about it, also check up with Francois, Macello, or any other number of the leading indochinese experts over on pitcherplants.proboards

the fimbriated leaf edges are another thing that you see in seedling leaves, but it is a common trait of N. mirabilis (not saying it is a mirabilis, just saying that leaf style does exist on some species)

So should I just refer to it as Nepenthes 'King Tiger'.. ??

Looks good man! Glad to see it survived!

MM yes, i would label it that, as thorelii is not the true species, when your over on pitcherplants next time ask someone in the general post, which indochinese species/hybrid King Tiger is...

MM yes, i would label it that, as thorelii is not the true species, when your over on pitcherplants next time ask someone in the general post, which indochinese species/hybrid King Tiger is...

I'll do that right now..

There are Neps with tubers? :suspect:

There are Neps with tubers? :suspect:

Most Neps from regions with a marked drought period have tubers. I have seen them on my smilesii (from Vietnam, which has a killer dry season) in the form of lengthy, thickened roots. I have even seen a tuber on my copelandii from Mt. Apo :)confused:) that looked like an iris rhizome.

Most Neps from regions with a marked drought period have tubers. I have seen them on my smilesii (from Vietnam, which has a killer dry season) in the form of lengthy, thickened roots. I have even seen a tuber on my copelandii from Mt. Apo :)confused:) that looked like an iris rhizome.

........Weird. :0o:

Okay.. I'm going to show a little bit of my newb-ness again and say,"What's a tuber?"

Okay.. I'm going to show a little bit of my newb-ness again and say,"What's a tuber?"

A big fat root......think carrots....or potatoes.

Well, most nep tubers just look like really thick roots...

some tubers, such as those found in a couple of the N. mirabilis var. globosa (aka N. viking) are able to actually be cut up and divided into new plants, its quite interesting really in the way that it is somewhat similar to sarracenia in that regard, sadly that viking didnt do well for me, im trying to get my hands on another one...perhaps ill PM the person i got that very viking from and see whats going on...
the tuber on that thing made me go wait what, some neps have tubers? thats when i started to get fascinated with some of the indochinese species for this pretty remarkable landmark evolution in neps to be able to die back into a dormant stage much like our beloved sarracenia or some tuberous drosera. its pretty interesting really.
And to clear things up in my first sentence, when i say a few of the mirabilis var. globosa,
There were a couple locations of this species that did NOT have a tuberous system, but still fell into the classification.

Back