What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes truncata "Queen of Hearts" x "King of Spades"

I finally jumped on the bandwagon with a few other growers and picked up Borneo Exotic's seed-grown Nepenthes "Queen of Hearts" x "King of Spades," a well-known cross between two very rare forms of N. truncata, all but extinct in the wild. The photos of the "parents" are stunning.

Nepenthes truncata "Queen of Hearts" x "King of Spades"

TRUNCATA2-1.jpg

It arrived today, along with my damnable jury summons (I thought that I went through this crap last year). Does anyone know where I can purchase a temporary henna tattoo of a swastika or an Iron Cross for my forehead for the first day in court; or, lacking that, some passable reproductions of Russian prison ink -- something fashionable for the knuckles?

I ordered one, but it seems to have been delayed in the mail. :glare:

Don't worry, I'm sure he hasn't forgotten.
I ordered one back in December, and I got it yesterday in the mail. They hold shipping sometimes in the winter because of weather and it creates a backlog of orders.

I ordered one, but it seems to have been delayed in the mail. :glare:

Mine had been delayed for several weeks by the Icelandic volcano -- say it, class, just the way it sounds -- Eyjafjallajökull . . .

v
It arrived today, along with my damnable jury summons (I thought that I went through this crap last year). Does anyone know where I can purchase a temporary henna tattoo of a swastika or an Iron Cross for my forehead for the first day in court; or, lacking that, some passable reproductions of Russian prison ink -- something fashionable for the knuckles?

I just got a summons last week -- appearance date is one year and 3 days since I last served!

Nice looking plant, BTW!
kpg

Looking good BB, are you using pure sphag? I ordered one back in December I believe and just got an email confirmation on them sending it...cant wait.

Last edited:
Looking good BB, are you using pure sphag? I ordered one back in December I believe and just got an email conformation on them sending it...cant wait.

Thanks, I've had the plant for just over nine hours and I am taking full credit for its appearance.

There is a mix of live sphagnum with some pumice thrown in, since I have a primal hatred of perlite . . .

Looking good BigB. You'll have no issues with it whatsoever. :)

nice i got my two yesterday and perfect timing right on my birthday. !!!!! i'll try to get some pics up of them

I just got mine today, it looks pretty muck like Bella's......I can't wait to see what it turns into! :boogie:

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't get a chance till now to take some pics. I have had mine for a while now...hmm...according to my images...nov 2, 09.

4613763993_257d34d43c.jpg

4614380998_1b6528e33d.jpg

one of the seedlings has pitchers darker than the other.

4614380674_cda9950dd7.jpg

This is how they looked when I got them.

4067104993_b04be34e69.jpg

PS: Let me know if you want bigger pics.

Last edited:
Sweeet -- and to think that I only get strawberries in containers like that.

Vigorous little buggers, though N. truncata is characteristically fast. My Pasian Highlander was the size of a US half-dollar when I received it, wilted and near death. Wthin fifteen months, it was producing 10-15 cm pitchers and taking over . . .

I am definitely curious to see how it does . . .

I'm starting to see your slant on things BB... I'm gettin' dizzy. :banana2:

lol! Depending on your perspective, these are strawberries that can bite back. :p ;)

wow vraev, those plants look awesome compared to mine. It only has 4 leaves and only 1 of its 4 pitchers has a dark coloration. (I haven't given the most recent and largest one a chance to color up though) I guess a will blame my plants set back on it getting attacked by some unknown pest or taking a major disliking to my conditions.

Thanks Ant. I am happy that they are doing ok in my intermediate conditions. I do however realize that they are not the best they can be as my lighting isn't too great. The lights are too far away for them. I am considering appending to the light source, although with the start of current heat waves, the rest of the highlanders that grow with it will not appreciate it at all.

vraev,
don't do a thing they look great, and we will have a source for your conditions, if some one needs to try a little less light , yours looks just a big as mine under t-5's in a highland terrarium, and the color on the picthers looks just as dark. if they were put side by side id almost bet yours is larger than mine, nad i got mine in november so ive had mine about the same time. I think they are all doing well in all conditions, isn't some one out there growing theirs in a lowland terr? .
I dont see the extra hairy patch some have just below the front lip , mine doesnt have it either.
IMG_1792.jpg

My seedling JUST arrived in the mail... (It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but what with the Holidays I'm not going to judge the USPS too harshly...)

I've been waiting all day for the mail guy to arrive... I was doing dishes in the kitchen and my wife shouts "The mail guy's on the front steps and he's got a Priority Mail package!" outSTANDing. :) My worst fears of the seedling spending Christmas Eve slowly freezing on my front stoop has been averted... NOW I can go leave to see my relatives. :D

Yea uphwiz I received mine the beginning of Nov and am growing them in lowland conditions. So far so good...they are growing nicely and a nice green color as with most small neps. I have two and both pitchering nicely as well. I will post pics later when I get time.

Back