What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping them compact

I was wondering if there is a trick to keeping nepenthes growth more compact. I had a couple before I moved to texas and mine always grew more like a vine with a pitchers then staying more compact and haveing nice pitchers. They were all placed in a North Western facing window and always looked healthy but didnt really pu ton the pitchers just length. They were all ones that I had gotten from Home Depot if that makes any difference. I am looking at getting some more pitcher plants again and want to make sure that I am doing things right this time.

Mainly light. Lots of bright light will keep them compact, with a great pitcher-to-leaf ratio.

When growers of certain "plants" want to keep them from stretching towards the light, light intensity and closer distance to the lights keeps your plants' leaf nodes really close together. So basically what nightsky said. I may have figured out why my plants haven't started vining yet, or maybe they just need more time.

I'm not actually sure when the plants hit their vining stage. My grow closet will be out of control once that happens.

My N. Vent has been in the compact basal stage for a year and 5 months so far. I bought it as a size 5 plant. I have like 10k lumens of CFL in a 2sq ft area.

Last edited:
i second the highlight. and perhaps the occasional pruning as well.

Lol yeah I like to light my plants with weapons grade laser beams. How do you think I get them to grow that fast?

Back