What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHY?!?!??!

• Thread starter Timmy
  • Start date
Ampullaria grow fast in their native environment, and if it's just the pitchers, it would cause little harm to the plant in the long run. If you see in the same album, they also sell Amps as a houseplant so their local culture may be respectful of the plants as well I hope!

It would be sad if people did that here, but I'm sure the plants forgive the local townsfolk haha.

Timmy start up your Nep collection soon! You'll see that they will do absolutely fine if grown completely without their pitchers!

I would love to try some of that rice!
I don't condone the amp destruction but they are everywhere there.

they dont destroy the plants usually, from what ive seen in a couple of videos (i dont remember where they were, they were in a totally different language anyway) they just go out and cut off various pitchers from various plants, and since ampullaria is such a strong basal and runner producer, not to mention aerial offshoots of the main stem, there is no harm done to the plant if the person is just collecting pitchers...

It's like you eating strawberries that you pick in the forest...

I saw pics at one time, either here or some other Cp place where someone showed a bunch of small N. mirabilis pitchers stuffed with what looked like rangoon fixings (cream cheese, onions, crab, etc). there was a whole serving platter full of them. I would try it just because!

In Sarawak, they use veitchii pitchers and fill them up with rice and sweetmeats. Yum. :)

Yeah I'd imagine it being along the lines of like banana leaf wrapped sticky rice that you see in South Asian cuisine.

Just gotta get over it. Those recipes have been around far longer than the hobby or the forums.
Just think, the native Americans didn't extinct corn or the buffalo, it was whitey.
Why would we have any less expectations of the local indigenous there?
Habitat destruction is from the latest generation doing it whitey style.
Besides, if they were already cooked, you better eat one or two so they don't go to waste! :-O

I cooked some this way once, the rice was pretty good, the pitcher......not so much. :puke2:

Back