What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardiest Nepenthes

Which Nepenthes species are probably the easiest to grow under any conditions. Such as capensis of nepenthes. I'm trying to find a nep that can do well in very low to no humidity

No nepenthes does well in low humidity. But, the hardiest nep IMHO has to be n. gracilis. This plant is actually tougher than d. capensis. I've had my gracilis survive in conditions that killed capensis.

-Hermes.

I have probably seen Nepenthes ventricosa take more punishment and come back for more than any other species -- and have seen them produce pitchers under even terrible conditions . . .

Given my ( until recently ) less than stellar track record with plants, my Lady Pauline (I know,not a species, but a hybrid ) has laughed in the face of the adversity I've thrown it.....

Deroose alata 'Ventrata' grows well.
low humudity seems to be ok for truncata as well.

I beg to differ herm, my tuncata, lady pauline, ventricosa, sanguinea, and N. x Mixta do very well on my windowsill where average humidity is 20%

But that doesn't men all nepenthes can handle these conditions.

Vogelii excels where my other Neps only just get along....

Most of my neps get very low humidity in the winter and grow well with some exceptions.

No nepenthes does well in low humidity. But, the hardiest nep IMHO has to be n. gracilis. This plant is actually tougher than d. capensis. I've had my gracilis survive in conditions that killed capensis.

-Hermes.

I had a D. Capensis that got dug up, and i just threw it back in the pot and and yesterday my brother noticed it sent up 4 plants. This is without me watering it out for a week with full sun beating down on it all week!

But for the most part, most highland nepenthes are pretty darn hardy. I don't think anything in my collection particularly stands out in terms of survivalism, but
I think any hybrid with N. Truncata will impress you. The only plant that has not ever experienced a stall after being shipped is my N x Red Dragon which is a hybrid of Truncata and Thorelli. It literally send out a brand new leaf like days after I got it, which is something none of my neps have ever done.

Another personal favorite is N. Maxima. I got this stickly piece of crap in the mail like a couple months ago if anybody remembers, but it actually survived so I'm pretty impressed!

Everything in my grow list is grown in about 25 percent humidity. My grow area is my closet, in a sweltering hot and dry upstairs bedroom. I'm sure the grow lights sure help with humidity too lol.

Ventricosa or Sanguinea, I once had a sanguinea that I forgot to water and the soil completely dried out but it survived.

Truncata, sanguinea, ventricosa, and "miranda"

From my own collection 'Lady Pauline' is the hardiest. Humidity doesn't seem to be a factor in getting it to pitcher, it's a quick grower, prolific pitcher-er, and is generous with basal and node activations. I'd guess that just about any hybrid with maxima in it would be pretty hardy. I have a 'Red Leopard', which is a vent x maxima cultivar, and it's a tough cookie also, but it has hiccuped several times in conditions the 'Lady Pauline' didn't.

sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I'd just like to say that this thread has helped me a lot too so far because I'm thinking of getting some new windowsill neps. :-D

Nep. thoreliiXcampanulata will pitcher in low light and humidity, stand for high and low temps, and not have any strange leaves and not get attacked if you have a thrips invasion, and in my care gets watered only 1X week. Currently it's outside and the leaves turned a delightful red in the sun. N. Red Leopard and N. Exotic Lady are really great too and thrive under those same conditions.

Last edited:
Red Leopard and Lady Pauline are both hardy Neps. My most vigorous grower, and it grows right next to Red Leopard is N. reinwardtiana from BE. That plant is crazy fast in our household conditions.

dvg

Back