What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Anyone Else Excited For This?!

• Thread starter lizasaur
  • Start date
So yeah, $50 huh? I could think of 3 or 4 plants I really want and could get with that much money. Too rich for my blood.......

There's a guy I work with that just bought a huge highland nep hybrid for about that much from the dark corner of a local greenhouse. He promptly repotted it in miracle grow and has been giving it a gallon of tap water a day :-)).

I went over to see it the other day. It looks good so far. He won't listen to anything I say so I just told him to enjoy it while it lasts :). I'm trying to get him to let me get a leaf cutting before it kicks the bucket.

Those are some AMAZING looking plants on that website though. WOW. Had to bookmark the site.

Last edited:
I don't much of anything about Latin, which nobody seems to know the rules to. Strange since it's the base to so many languages. In fact, you would think the linguists would get together, make up their minds, and come up with a set of rules for pronunciation. At least this consortium of people pronouncing together could at least give us some verbage to work with. Some would always argue, but...

So, I'll ask you LSP, do you not consider vowels next to each other, in Latin, to take on combined pronunciation like in English and Spanish (Latin based)? Just asking.

Now that you ask, there are some exceptions. When in doubt, I'll sometimes go the the online dictinary if botanical epithets, I think there's a pronunciation guide by each epithet.

So yeah, $50 huh? I could think of 3 or 4 plants I really want and could get with that much money. Too rich for my blood.......

There's a guy I work with that just bought a huge highland nep hybrid for about that much from the dark corner of a local greenhouse. He promptly repotted it in miracle grow and has been giving it a gallon of tap water a day :-)).

I went over to see it the other day. It looks good so far. He won't listen to anything I say so I just told him to enjoy it while it lasts :). I'm trying to get him to let me get a leaf cutting before it kicks the bucket.

Those are some AMAZING looking plants on that website though. WOW. Had to bookmark the site.

I actually don't really have many doubts that the nepenthes could survive in Miracle Gro mix. I don't think theres that much of it in there and that the little that is in there is just for marketing purposes. Nepenthes in the little while that I've had them seem to be able to process and pretty much do whatever normal plants can do based on how little I've been having to care for my collection these days...

Although the gallon of tapwater is pretty bad, sad how it's going to die of rootrot long before it dies of those other things.... I have been watering my plants from the tap, but not with that much water...

aristo-loke-ee-oy-deez

Whatever you say, say it with authority and most people won't question you :)

aristo-loke-ee-oy-deez

Whatever you say, say it with authority and most people won't question you :)

Ha! Still more vowel sounds than vowels. after the k there is only one i. It totally bursts the bubble when one trumps your authoritativeness (<-- is this actually a word?) in a conversation. I hate being embarassed like such lol.

i think aristo-loke-ee-oids (as in hemorrhoids) would work just as well. I've always been told, when it comes to latin, some liberty can be taken with pronunciation based on personal preference.

Say it like you want is the only steadfast rule it seems. Funny when language is about mutual communication/pronunciation. Go figure :)

Back