What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GA3 pretreatment

droseraguy

Illinois
Just wondering if anyone has tried a Gibberelic Acid soak of their nep. seed prior to sowing ? What ppm have you tried and for how long ? Other seeds from what I've read are around 150 ppm for 24 hours.

Just wondering if anyone has tried a Gibberelic Acid soak of their nep. seed prior to sowing ? What ppm have you tried and for how long ? Other seeds from what I've read are around 150 ppm for 24 hours.

I have used various concentrations of GA3, ranging from 500-1000 mg / liter with Nepenthes seeds; but my last experience did not result in a significantly higher germination rate . . .

Interesting thanks. You say the last treatment didn't amount to a noticeable difference. Does that mean a previous attempt showed a bit of improvement ? I was going to put these into tc if that makes a difference.

Interesting thanks. You say the last treatment didn't amount to a noticeable difference. Does that mean a previous attempt showed a bit of improvement ? I was going to put these into tc if that makes a difference.

Previously, I had used Nepenthes seeds of "suspect" age and hadn't anticipated much success -- either conventionally or with GA3; and I was pleasantly surprised by the germination rate of those treated versus others simply planted in milled sphagnum, which were few to none. In that instance the concentration of GA3 was 700 mg / liter of water and the seed was soaked for twelve hours prior to planting.

My most recent use of GA3 were on fresh seeds of known age; and in that case, germination was approximately the same for both groups. Whether you were to plant them or micro-propagate the seed, probably won't pose any difference . . .

I might just give it a shot. Thanks for the info !

Back