What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Truncata updates please?

Chris_Himself

Nep'tard
So I searched and lurked some old N. Truncata threads and as you all know, I just bought one recently and it's rather small so if you guys had some time, could you post pics of your guys' Truncata?

+5 points for telling me a little about your particular plant and how it's grown for you and how long til my plant can produce thumb sized pitchers?

Mine =:)

2010-05-25063712.jpg

Here is my Pasian Highlander -- no larger than yours when I received it, wilted and uprooted from the pot in which it was poorly shipped. I immediately disposed of the compost they (a New England dealer of ill repute -- never again) were growing it in (some anaerobic, foul-smelling cypress crap -- think rotten eggs or sanitary sewer), soaked it for an hour in Superthrive®, opted for live sphagnum, pumice, perlite, charcoal, and never looked back.

Inside of eighteen months, it was sporting 10-15 cm (3.9 - 6") pitchers; and most are now well over 25 cm (10"); and it is simply grown on a South-facing windowsill above my kitchen sink. The N. truncata receives biweekly orchid fertilizer (30:10:10) and I decided to dump coffee into it back in March to some success . . .

Nepenthes truncata (Pasian Highland)
NTRUNCATA-2.jpg

My Pasian was also about the size of yours when I got it two years ago, now it is much bigger and starting to make 10in pitchers....

Ntruncata03-1.jpg

I find that mine is happiest in a sunny south window durring the cold months and when the night temps get above 50F I move it outside to an area that gets dappled sun. I have mine planted in a mix of 3 parts pine mulch, 1 part charcoal, and 2 parts small lava rock chunks.

That's a beautiful truncata BigBella...especially with that gorgeous striped peritome.

I received a Pasian highland last year in April. It was a small plant when I first got it, but it is now making about 8" tall pitchers.

Chris, once they become adjusted to your growing conditions, they really can take a leap in pitcher size. It can be quite surprising the way they just suddenly jump in size, from pitcher to pitcher.

Good luck with yours too.

dvg

My Pasian was also about the size of yours when I got it two years ago, now it is much bigger and starting to make 10in pitchers....

I find that mine is happiest in a sunny south window durring the cold months and when the night temps get above 50F I move it outside to an area that gets dappled sun. I have mine planted in a mix of 3 parts pine mulch, 1 part charcoal, and 2 parts small lava rock chunks.

Beautiful plant there. I too have thought about placing it outside, along with a few of my other Nepenthes; but I like seeing it far too much, while I'm up to my elbow in dishes . . .

That's a beautiful truncata BigBella...especially with that gorgeous striped peritome.

I received a Pasian highland last year in April. It was a small plant when I first got it, but it is now making about 8" tall pitchers.
dvg

Thanks . . .

When it was somewhat younger, the pitcher would open with that striped peristome, then become a more solid red (akin to Exo's); now, it consistently remains striped. Here's a shot of the most recent pitcher, having opened about a week ago.

Nepenthes truncata (Pasian Highland)
TRUNCATA-2.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful plant there. I too have thought about placing it outside, along with a few of my other Nepenthes; but I like seeing it far too much (akin to Exo's), while I'm up to my elbow in dishes . . .

Thank you, I like seeing mine to, I just make sure I go out and see it every day. :)
Best part about growing it outside it the fact that it catches all of it's own food, I just make sure it doesn't get too dry and it pretty much grows itself.

Very nice truncata, BTW, Kinda looks like one of the lowland forms.....very unusual

Thank you, I like seeing mine to, I just make sure I go out and see it every day. :)
Best part about growing it outside it the fact that it catches all of it's own food, I just make sure it doesn't get too dry and it pretty much grows itself.

Very nice truncata, BTW, Kinda looks like one of the lowland forms.....very unusual

For better or worse, my plant manages to catch its fair share of insects in the kitchen; but I do frequently leave the door to the garage open. Considering how cold it gets in the Winter, the sucker certainly qualifies as a highlander.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing how the Nepenthes truncata "Queen of Hearts" x "King of Spades" plants develop. I have only had them three weeks (shipped in a wad of paper towel) and there's some visibly new growth. Perhaps it will eventually take care of a troublesome screeching neighborhood cat . . . or two.

I was enjoying an Addam's Family moment there . . .

Mine isn't as nice as the above, but here's my N. truncata Paisan highland. It's a fast grower, like they say.

Ntruncatapaisan.jpg

Mine isn't as nice as the above, but here's my N. truncata Paisan highland. It's a fast grower, like they say.

Ntruncatapaisan.jpg

The pitcher color on that one looks like the smaller one my mom has....same clone perhaps?

Caps, it's not "not as nice", just different. I like how much red the body has. Currently my pasian has the red peristome with a mostly green body. But yeah, I love striped peristomes as well. I hate writing peristome (I'm lazy), perhaps we could coin them peri? (i.e. striped peri)

Show your Trunc's!

Truncata...
Of course!

Getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger....

Trunc-1.jpg

Good Luck with yours....
you will enjoy it!

:water:

PS: To me...Peristome = Mouth!

Wow all these Trunc's are mighty drool worthy! The Red Dragon that JustJack gave me is the reason I developed a particular interest, and so far in my climate, they're growing pretty darn fast!

Man I really need to get a truncata one of these days...

I have no doubt that Truncata is the mightiest of all the neps. N. Rajah might not even be the biggest pitcher in terms of volume sometimes!

I will tell you that trunc's probably reach these ridiculous dimensions in the wild.. I visited the conservatory of flowers to see their lowland Truncata which had been there for several years. I'd imagine that area is as close as can be to native conditions, and the pitchers did not exceed 8-10".

I have no doubt that Truncata is the mightiest of all the neps. N. Rajah might not even be the biggest pitcher in terms of volume sometimes!

I will tell you that trunc's probably reach these ridiculous dimensions in the wild.. I visited the conservatory of flowers to see their lowland Truncata which had been there for several years. I'd imagine that area is as close as can be to native conditions, and the pitchers did not exceed 8-10".

I saw plants on Mindanao Island years ago, both cultivated and those in the field, whose upper pitchers were about 40 cm (16") in length; and the sizes of the so-called "black truncatas" now entering cultivation far outstrip those.

"This pitcher plant showcased at the [Singapore Garden] festival has extremely large pitchers! The pitchers are around half a metre tall and can contain 4 litres of fluid! It looks like a plant in the prehistoric times…"

If you're referring to those plants at the Conservatory of Flowers in San Francisco, I was far more impressed by the ages of the plants in the collection than their condition. In well-grown N. truncatas, the pitchers should well exceed the length of the lamina and most of those leaves were relatively small . . .

Last edited:
Back