What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tons of nepenthes seedlings germinating

Hi all. I want to share some pics of some of the nepenthes seeds I have germinating. These are growing very well for me and should be very promising when more mature.

The seedlings in these pics are Nepenthes Maxima Dark x Spectabilis North Sumatra. These pics are just of one of the pots of my seedlings germinating. I have several other pots of seedlings that are growing well and will post some pics of them when they reach a better size.

My other seedlings I have germinating are More Maxima Dark x Spectabilis North Sumatra, Nepenthes Thorelii x xTM x Spatulata x Maxima and Thorelii x xTM x Isle De France. I'm also expecting to receive in some fresh seeds of Spectabilis x Truncata x Veitchii H/L and Ventricosa x Macro x ??.

g-37.jpg

f-41.jpg

Congrats! Been having horrid luck with nep seed lately...

a couple questions, do you treat the seeds/soil with anything prior to sowing? what media do you use? and lastly how long since you sowed the seeds to the stage at which their at in the pictures above?

-Javier

a couple questions, do you treat the seeds/soil with anything prior to sowing? what media do you use? and lastly how long since you sowed the seeds to the stage at which their at in the pictures above?

-Javier

Hi there. I dont pre treat the nep seeds or soil. I just mix the soil and prepare the pot, then I sow the seeds and mist them every other day. I use a 50/50 peat and sand mix for my nep seeds, I think its been like a couple months since I sowed the seeds, lol. I wish I would of kept a date login, lol.

lol i started doing that, made a simple excel spreadsheet for it. if you want, i can email to you, its simple but eh works. and i also read about having to put them in complete darkness for like 10 days and then sticking them in a place where they get light but minimal. is that true? if yes how is that process exactly done and if not...then what is your method?

lol i started doing that, made a simple excel spreadsheet for it. if you want, i can email to you, its simple but eh works. and i also read about having to put them in complete darkness for like 10 days and then sticking them in a place where they get light but minimal. is that true? if yes how is that process exactly done and if not...then what is your method?

lol, I've heard of the 10 day darkness method. I find that not to be necessary. Me, I just plant them as soon as I receive them. I have them planted and growing on a south facing window sill. They get bright indirect, diffused sunlight through out the day. I also place a gallon bag over the pots of seeds and seedlings for added humidity.

I'd be interested in seeing the spread sheet you made.

okay yea cuz that seemed a bit wierd. windowsill indoors or outside? and yea ill send to your gmail.

lol

okay yea cuz that seemed a bit wierd. windowsill indoors or outside? and yea ill send to your gmail.

lol

lol, I grow them indoors on the window sill. I would be afraid to try them outside here in Tucson AZ, LOL

jesus theyd cook!!!! youd end up having to use the pitchers as rice dishes hahahahahaha...<===too many ha's.

:nono: Probably an easy way to lose contacts here as well :-)) get lynched for that sort of thing...Lol.

Wow, those look healthy :)
At what temperature did you germinate them ?

Very nice! I wish mine had sprouted.

Took some new photos today of the seedlings. I also took photos of the other pots of seedlings as well.

o-7.jpg

e-47.jpg

f-42.jpg

g-38.jpg

h-30.jpg

i-27.jpg

j-21.jpg

k-19.jpg

l-14.jpg

m-13.jpg

n-9.jpg

p-7.jpg

q-7.jpg

Very nice :)
I hope to one day be as succesfull as you with seed.
Until now only 1 out of 8 batches had germination.

look at em all...cute and harmless...for now lol....

Back