What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown pest, maybe mites

I got some tiny bugs on my new neps, they're about 0,1 to 0,25 mm.
I haven't seen a lot of them, maybe 2 or 3 total, and small threads gowing from the growing tips to other parts of the plants.
The plant in the picture is the talangensis in my picture thread.
Does anyone know what they are ?

IMG_5937.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5966.jpg

IMG_5979.jpg

looks like what could be spider mites.

Spidermites......better kill them soon. :-(

Green Light Neem II (neem oil and pyrethrins)
Bayer 3-in-1(Bunch of stuff)
Bayer Systemic (Midicloprin. Only need to apply once)

All of these will work and have worked for me on my neps, but it is not an overnight solution. They breed fast and their eggs are pretty much impenetrable so you need to be religious with your spraying schedule. The systemic that I started using on my sarrs worked against mites out there just fine, haven't used it on neps but I see no cause for alarm. The amount of the active ingredient is quite dilute to the point where my sarrs didn't shrug.

If you are anal about chemicals, the Neem II I recommended is completely organic. Personally I don't think neps care if it's earth-friendly or not, just as long as you get rid of the spider mite problem. I lost quite a few vigorous VFT's to spider mites from the death cubes they came in. I didn't spray them in time sadly...

After contacting an expert i now believe i don't have spidermites.
He suggested they may be springtails caught in a spiderweb.
I do have a tiny spiders in that growroom and i could find no other evidence of mites.
Just those 2 dead shells and another one i couldnt get a clear shot of, and no new webbing.

Just in case i might get mites for real, i could not find anything on midicloprin, did you mean imidacloprid ?
I got that stuff and googled it, but everywere i look i find reports about it not killing mites but even helping them by killing their predators/competition.
Bayer 3 in 1 isnt sold here.
From what i can find the only pesticide thats made to work against mites available here is based on tebufenpyrad (bayer masai) and that stuff is so nasty i'd rather not use it.
It's a spray and kills any bug or fish and possibly human XD

they dont look like spider mites to me...ive had them before, and that looks nothing like them...

For lack of a better description..it looks like a mosquito larva suspended on a high wire..

Back