What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you stake your neps?

Just wondering if people generally stake their neps to keep them from flopping over. I know it can encourage basal growth to let them hang over, but a few of mine look like they might break if I let them go. Just wondering what others do.

My taller ones hold on to the growrack with their tendrils.

Just plant them in bigger pots and let them do their thing. I don't really have room for them to go upright anyways, I'd have to back the lights off if I staked them

Bah! I don't believe in taming nature, I might help them by giving them a bit of support, but there's no use trying to keep them straight, they are vines that can grow metres long, and unless you have a 100 foot tree in your grow area, I'd suggest letting it do it's thing, but giving them support so they don't collapse on their own weight.

They definitely wont break, they will just creep outwards and take up a lot of ground space. I have a Judith Finn I didn't stake and it is growing a basal, but I regret not staking because it takes up too much space that way.

Side note: I was going to add a picture of it so you can see what happens, but does this forum only take web hosted images? None of mine are online yet

Last edited:
Generally it is a good idea to give the vine something to hold onto. It will also promote pitcher production along the vine. Some will refuse to pitcher for you unless they have a solid foothold to support the extra weight.

Steak will kill your neps. :crazy:

I've used turned up side down tomato cages in the past / For my Ventrata
Will post some pics if I can find them / It was a few years ago

I stake some, most just grab the grow rack. You can kinda point them in the right direction.
peace,
Zero

Back