What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goofy experiment

Soo, I took a small ventrata rooted cutting in a roughly 2.5" pot that sits in a cup of the same size to the convenience store I work at, just to see if it would survive. Temps are around 70 with continual light 24-7. It's potted in mostly peat with a few old coffee grounds thrown on top (from store). It's been very slowly growing for almost a year, and is very small and compact. VERY small. I suppose it's due to the endless light cause the parent plant gets 5 or 6 times as big. It has two healthy pitchers currently. Lots of interest has been generated in customers and co-workers alike. So I gave another cutting or two to some co-worker friends, but they don't know what to expect still, even though I've tried to describe and they're not so internet savvy.

Now the interesting part. I made some more cuttings, and snipped a full size adult pitcher just to show them. They were like :0o::0o: (hahahaha). But then what to do with said pitcher? I said just toss it. Well someone kept it and her husband keeps filling it with water and it's lasted for some weeks without the rest of the plant. I never would have thought it would work this long, crazy. I thought it would have shriveled by now for sure.

I know what my new cups will be replaced with now!

I heard you can cut off a pitcher and fill it with cotton balls to keep it from drying out. Could be the same idea.. just a method of keeping it hydrated.

Saw a picture of Robert Cantley with friends drinking beer out of a preserved lowii pitcher (super kewl) but not the same thing. I'm just waiting to see how long they can make this pitcher last.

Picture?

justjack - i remember him doing that with a rajah pitcher....but a lowii one? maybe hes done both lol...

Since the leaf has been cut off from the plant, there are no longer any nutrients going into the tissues. Feeding it would do no good, the out-going and in-coming "veins" aren't connected. Eventually the pitcher will start to brown as the cells die. Interesting that it's lasted this long.

I'm so camera deficient. Plus it's at someone else's house, the watered and decapitated pitcher that is.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

justjack - i remember him doing that with a rajah pitcher....but a lowii one? maybe hes done both lol...

"It's good to be the king"! LOL!

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Since the leaf has been cut off from the plant, there are no longer any nutrients going into the tissues. Feeding it would do no good, the out-going and in-coming "veins" aren't connected. Eventually the pitcher will start to brown as the cells die. Interesting that it's lasted this long.

My point entirely. I wouldn't have thought this would happen or be possible. To really lol, they wondered , as newbies do, if the pitcher might root! :-))

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

My point entirely. I wouldn't have thought this would happen or be possible. To really lol, they wondered , as newbies do, if the pitcher might root! :-))

Back