What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A true gem...

Just arrived today, and i cant really be happier with it...
a rooted cutting of a female N. spectabilis from Gunung Sinabung
P1010052-1.jpg

P1010059-2.jpg

P1010058-1.jpg

P1010057-1.jpg

and now for her future husband, which we all know ;D
my N. spectabilis North Sumatra
P1010053-1.jpg

who is working on an upper pitcher on the main vine again finally :) hopefully no little lid syndrome this go-around
P1010054-2.jpg

Very beautifull pitchers :)
I really need to get some plant with striped peristomes :D

just caught this hiding behind the pot, a new pitcher opened up on my male
P1010057-2.jpg

P1010059-3.jpg

and while i had the male out to get a pic of the new pitcher, i thought i would get the partners together...
P1010061-1.jpg

another of one of the females pitchers...
P1010063-1.jpg

Great looking plants. It will be very interesting to see what the offspring from those two look like.

Aww, they're cute together ;-)

Nice new spec though, it's good and dark!

Very nice Chris

congratulatons Kris. Great job man!! Way to lead the species from seed campaign. :D

i definitely dont think im leading it ;D but for spectabilis in cultivation i think im there, both are mature, flowering size plants, and have flowered, the female just got finished producing seed with the previous owner.
i do believe that TC plants are great, but i also am a firm believer in genetic variation. So, naturally, i lean more to seed grown originals. and while i will be making hybrids, i will make as many species seeds as possible, and hopefully ill end up with more females in mature plants that have no flowered yet...we will have to wait and see.
Thankfully even if my north sumatra spect isnt in flower, my good friend a couple cities over has several large, flowering size plants of the same clone, so i have a backup plan for local pollen, so its as fresh as possible.

I think thats a great plan. I wasn't too impressed w/spectabillis at first but after seeing pics of your N. Sumatra and seeing one in person at The New York Botanical Garden, they really are very beautiful, much more so than in most pictures. It would be pretty cool to see what variation they are capable of. I just got a tc clone of N. Sumatra, possibly the same one as yours (love it!.) Please keep us updated, I know I'd like to see how it turns out, as all the forms I've seen available so far are all very nice.

yep, all of the north sumatra are the same clone, single clone originating from TC at Borneo Exotics, and it is a male.
it is a wonderful plant, i also have a small Spectabilis 'Pangulobau'
ill try and get pics of it, but like i said, its pretty small lol

Thats what I figured, good in the fact that now I have exactly what I wanted, (literally the exact one I wanted.) But variation among seed grown specs could prove to be very interesting. I'd be up to grow some out from seed one day just to see, what a cool project (ok now I'm jealous). Mine is def too small, but good to already be informed that he's a male, thanks. I would love to see a pic of what the 'Pangulobau' looks like though, if you get a chance. small or not I haven't seen one.

ask and you shall receive
P1010097-1.jpg

P1010095.jpg

P1010094.jpg

Clue is to N. clipeata as i am to N. spectabilis...hahahah

lol, everybody has their thing, I'm the last person to judge. That one is very nice too, thanks for posting those. Ugh, now I wish I had gotten both. It looks like it has a smaller peristome then the N. Sumatra at that age. It looks redder too, or is that just a new pitcher?

new pitcher will darken up like the older, the peristome from what ive seen on mature representations of this plant, is not near as flared out as my north sumatra, or my sinabung...its nice though, more tubby as well compared to these ones.
You might be a little let down with North Sumatra at first, it is referred to as the Ugly Duckling by Robert Cantley, as at a young age, it seems to produce some oddball pitchers, often with little lid syndrome or just funky shaped...but once it hits the right age, is absolutely stunning. any friends i have over, or visitors, usually point out the spectabilis first...

Thats funny that you mention it, it came with about 4-5 pitchers on it, all a little different. I thought it might've been because it was just in a box for 2 days. Good to know. lol, "ugly duckling" no way! I'll only be let down if it decides it doesn't like it here.

Anyway, don't want to hijack your thread so good luck with your new spectabillis!

Taargus, i dont mind at all :) if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

Back