What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temperature ranges

Redflytrap

"Planting oblivion,beating reason back..." -[Ven 5
Here is the bottom line, I want to know what the night-time temperature range and
day-time temperature range is for highland nepenthes and ultra-highland nepenthes.

Looking through all the information that the internet has to offer, we could not find
any specific references to temperature ranges for: ultra-highland, highland, intermediate,
lowland, and ultra-lowland nepenthes species. This is specifically for the night-time
temperatures, and the average diurnal range of each temperature specific grouping.

I have access to a intermediate to warm orchid greenhouse.
Stats: Night-time temps. are 58-62 ļ

We are building a second greenhouse for cool growing orchids.
The question is, we want to know what temperature ranges are we going to need
for this cooler greenhouse to grow highland, and ultra-highland Nepenthes

specifically:
ultrahighland- need around 35-45F at night.
highland- 42-60F

however, there is still variability from species to species. for example aristo and jamban are both highlanders, but aristo requires even cooler temps than jamban. there was a chart on another forum that has a list of many nepenthes in cultivation and they are assorted based upon temperature ranges, both for daytime and night time, but unfortunately i cant find it. good luck!

found it: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34391&st=0&p=256581&#entry256581

i would actually say that for highland
45-55 at night
ultrahighland
40-50 at night would be sufficient,
i grow all of my plants as highland to ultrahighland, and they dont seem to mind.
Day time temps for highland i would go for 70-80 degrees, upper 60s is fine
ultrahighland would be best at 60-70 degrees

all of my highlanders have taken it down to 37 at night and been perfectly fine, and at the same time gone a week straight with over 100 degree temps in the day and still came out unscathed.

i consider, once something hits 60 at night, to be on the highland side of intermediate, but intermediate none the less...
once things hit the constant 70s and above would be more lowland intermediate to strict lowland...

Each nep seems to have it's own preference, but all of my highlanders seem to do best when the temps are 60F night and 75F day. My temps change with the seasons, but they all seem to be at thier best when these are the temps durring the late spring and early fall.

There isn't really any hard-and-fast rules about it. Neps are finicky plants but if you get most of their conditions right, they can forgive one or two things being a little off. If you do everything else really well, you can conceivably get away with growing highlanders/ultrahighlanders with only a relative temperature drop each night, but you'd probably need to start with a healthy, established individual and be very consistent about watering, light, etc. That said, the best way to tell for an individual plant is to look at where it comes from and try to copy the local weather patterns.
~Joe

Back