What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

variation in back-crossed hybrids

In a crossing of Nep. A x (Nep A x Nep B), you may think the results would be less variable, and much more like Nep A. With only 1/4 of a different species, the progeny seem to be much more variable than the primary hybrid used with some very interesting traits coming out. Or you may already know this and have some examples of your own. Please share.

My first example is ventricosa x (lowii x ventricosa):
P1120582.jpg

P1120579.jpg

3 different clones here, one is repeated in the two pics. Maybe I just got lucky (or the grower did a great job of selecting different looking clones) but I really like all 3 of these and have difficulty picking a favorite.These intermediate pitchers already show nice variation and as the plants grow into the true uppers, I only expect to see more.

What about crossing 2 hybrids like ( a x b ) x ( a x c)
Would that also give such variation ?

Yes, I would expect even more variation with 3 different species involved with some of the progeny looking most like the one species used twice. Unfortunately, I don't have any crosses like that in my collection.

There are actually only two different clones pictured above. The one that looks the same and the one that looks different are just upper and lower pitchers on the same plant. Sorry for the confusion, but it's hard to believe those two different looking pitchers are on the same plant - well, maybe not since lowii is involved.

A n y w a y, here is a pic of my 3rd clone:
P1120888.jpg

and the upper pitcher of the 2nd clone:
P1120804.jpg

and the 1st clone which doesn't seem to want to go into upper pitchers:
P1120778.jpg

So with two clones looking a lot like ventricosa, maybe I'm just full of hot air here.

Back