What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please respond ASAP Re: Nep seed harvesting

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cut
If the seed pods on a nep have split at the bottom of the pod but more are still closed, do I just cut the split ones that are open and just follow cuts as the others open?
Or do I just cut the whole stalk?
I also need to know the way's of drying them, desiccant, air dry?
thanks and I need immediate advice.
Peace,
Zero

Last edited:
I think the best thing to do, is to harvest the ready ones, or shake the stalk and see if it releases any. I woouldn't vut it, because there might be adverse effects to the unopened ones.

just make your nep a bit sexy ;) and put some stockings over the flowerspike and wait until all pods opened.
Like here:
neps_in_stockings_02.jpg

Good luck with the harvested seeds!

cheers
Boris

I agree with a few others here, in that you shouldn't remove the pod just yet; and I also wouldn't dry the seeds outright but refrigerate them (at about 3˚C) upon collection until you're ready to plant them. A small dessicant pouch, along with the seeds in a zip-lock bag is not a bad idea . . .

I don't have any of those right now:)
any other household products that might work?
just make your nep a bit sexy ;) and put some stockings over the flowerspike and wait until all pods opened.
Like here:
neps_in_stockings_02.jpg

Good luck with the harvested seeds!

cheers
Boris

Uhhh a sock?

As strange as may seem, a bit of uncooked rice in a bag serves as a decent dessicant and is commonly used in humid environments to keep sugar from caking . . .

BigBella,
I do have desiccant:)
just need to know how to harvest Nep seed???
Peace,
Zero

BigBella,
I do have desiccant:)
just need to know how to harvest Nep seed???
Peace,
Zero

Well, if the seed pod is slightly open, some of those seeds may be mature. See if you can shake it a bit without detaching it from the plant. if you should collect seeds, germinate those immediately and wait for the pod to dry a bit more. Those seeds can be stored or planted at any time.

Without seeing it directly, it is hard to tell its condition.

"Drop your socks . . ."

Back