What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about hamata

Ok I'm finally back from another vacation and my plants took another hit my hamata doesn't look real good so here are some pics. but I'm here for quite some time now and hopefully it should recover.
232323232%7Ffp53834%3Enu%3D3389%3E937%3E3%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C%3A939292345nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53839%3Enu%3D3389%3E937%3E3%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C%3A956873345nu0mrj

There could be some mite damage there, though it's difficult to see from the photos . . .

what is the media , seems to be a little dark, maybe some live sphag. top dressing would help, and give us here a few of your grow conditions, so the members can make a more suggestions, i was told to keep my seedling hamatas and young hamatas in very high humidity, but if your having mildew on the surface i dont know what to do about that,keep checking back here, there will be someone with more advise soon, this is the place to find the answers.

High seventies to mid sixties and no less than 60 percent humidity up to 95. It is usually about 85 though. light 14 hours a day. It was perfectly normal when I left a week ago and my neighbor took care of it, so I'm not sure what she did with it but I told her exactly the same thing I do. I usually water 2 to 3 times a week. And if the compost looks at all dry I will water it. The leaf damage I'm not sure its been there for a couple months and was only on 2 leaves and no other leaves or plants which are about an inch away from it.

Are you giving it a nightly temp drop to below 60F? Many ultrahighlanders are picky about this; some die if they don't get it.

For what it's worth, my hamata went through a phase where it looked exactly like that. In my case it was because I removed the sphagnum it was topdressed with and I moved the growlights too close. Both of these drastically reduced the overall humidity, and the temps got warmer then what it was accustomed to. That initially occured about 3 months ago and it still hasn't put a single pitcher and is recovering very, very slowly, but recovering nonetheless. I moved the lights back to their original distance and I put sphagnum around the pot to buffer the humidity again.

It looks alot like mite damage to me, but it could also be.....

Lack of airlow allowing water so sit on the leaves too long, or....

Sunburn of overheating.

I hope u figure this out man..but just curious.... are those pits on leaves caused due to heat or mites? I mean the leaf at the right in the background.

Simply showing signs of stress, NOT bugs! (IMO)

I am not sure what it is planted in, but for starters I would suggest putting some LFS around it to keep it humid/moist against the leaves/plant itself. It does not look like it is enjoying the environment it is in.
Without some actual information about its condition, previous experience, etc... it is difficult to determine.
Humidity/moisture issues would be my first thought, followed by temps.
Leaves look green so I can't jump to poor lighting, however if it was recently re-potted or had some other environmental conditions changed, that may help to make a good guess.

I think more background would help to diagnose.

Good luck.

I have already posted humidity and lighting. soil is the same soil elgecko uses as I got it from him I've had it for I'm not sure eight months. I've been looking to give it a bigger pot so soil will probably be change here soon. Also I water two to three times a week and if the plants look like they need it. I will water them when needed I looked at the temps today and it was eighty at the high point and seventy one at the low. I had it last year in higher temps with less of a drop last year so that isn't the problem. I think it was my neighbor who took care of it for a month when I was gone on vacations and I can't tell you what happened there so I assume she did the same thing I did. IT IS NOT BUGS AS I HAVE CHECKED! so that rules that out I just concerned if she over watered and It's getting a fungus but the soil is the same as it usually is. moisture wise. Also what kind of soil does everyone recommend for it cause I think it's staying the same size from lack of repotting and what size pot should I put it in thanks. Mitchell

Back