What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new Nepenthes Edwardsiana

Hey man,

wow!! Its really sad to see that. Such an expensive/wanted little plant, only to succumb to heat/shipping stress. i hope that it can comeback, but considering the stem is going black and such a plant generally doesn't have a great root system..... well.... all u can do is hope for the best.
But don't sweat it man. **** happens! You just got to move on. Now you know that these plants require a lot more TLC.
I hope you can get something figured out for this.

cheers,

V

Oh crap that sucks. What a blow. Those teeny, tiny tc plants are so darn fragile. I had a wistuba macrophylla that I kept alive for a year, and it died about two weeks ago. It was the same size as your eddie. I swear you simply look at those tiny tc plants and they will die.

lil TC plants are a pain.....think the main reason i have decent luck is confidence in my conditions and above all the ability to ignore the plants for a long while.....one thing my short attention span is good for is making the tiny adjustments needed to harden off a tc plant.....make a lil change and be totally comfortable ignoring the plant for several weeks and only make another change to carry along the hardening off process....im not constantly fussing over it, taking it out of the bag for pictures all the time.....actually i rarely take pics unless i feel a plant has made gains to warrant it which is hard for newbies, i know it was for me.....7 years into the hobby and enough plants that i like that are growing well its no big deal to ignore that lil tc plant in the corner....

i realize none of this has to do with shipping stress but given the talk of lil TC plants and hardening them off i thought i would chime in.....

Oh crap that sucks. What a blow. Those teeny, tiny tc plants are so darn fragile. I had a wistuba macrophylla that I kept alive for a year, and it died about two weeks ago. It was the same size as your eddie. I swear you simply look at those tiny tc plants and they will die.

It was the same size as his eddie after a year of growing!?!?!

It was the same size as his eddie after a year of growing!?!?!

Yeah. It didn't gain any size at all. It just sat in suspended animation. Alive, but not growing. Although my other tc wistuba neps have done well.

lil TC plants are a pain.....think the main reason i have decent luck is confidence in my conditions and above all the ability to ignore the plants for a long while.....one thing my short attention span is good for is making the tiny adjustments needed to harden off a tc plant.....make a lil change and be totally comfortable ignoring the plant for several weeks and only make another change to carry along the hardening off process....im not constantly fussing over it, taking it out of the bag for pictures all the time.....actually i rarely take pics unless i feel a plant has made gains to warrant it which is hard for newbies, i know it was for me.....7 years into the hobby and enough plants that i like that are growing well its no big deal to ignore that lil tc plant in the corner....

i realize none of this has to do with shipping stress but given the talk of lil TC plants and hardening them off i thought i would chime in.....

Yeah, I ignore my plants for the most part too, (other than watering and a monthly feeding of ants) it seems to be the secret to good growth......not to mention they don't seem to grow as slow then you only look at them every other day. ;)

......not to mention they don't seem to grow as slow then you only look at them every other day. ;)

True that! I swear mine only grow when I'm gone for a long weekend :-))

How to grow them

Hello all,
as I'm extremely short of these it's very sad for me to see one of thee has died.
Luckily these are 100% trouble-free for me (except for extremely slow growth and propagation), so I'm quite sure that either something happened during shipping (heat?) or something went wrong with cultivation at your place.
As I cannot 100% rule out potential reason 1 (heat stress during shipment) I stand to my word that every plant from my nursery that arrives damaged is replaced. So, Nepenthes101, don't worry for your money. Just let me know by eMail your name and I'll work this out.

Nevertheless I feel I should give some details on how to grow these well:

1. They really NEED cool nights and moderately cool days. I grow them in a greenhouse that mainly houses my Heliamphoras which is equipped with evaporative cooling installed in one side. Even at the hottest days in the year I easily can keep temperature below 25°C during day. At night I never have more than 16°C in this greenhouse. In winter often less than 10°C at night - I start heating at 8°C at night in winter. I have lots of air movement in this greenhouse. Even when evaporative cooling is off, a big blower always moves around the air inside the greenhouse.
  2. They need LOTS of light. While I use some shading in summer to keep away the hottest sun, I use additional metal-halide lights on overcast days and in winter.
  3. I'd call these plants grown extremely hardy. People often associate plants propagated in vitro with softness and think they have to give them lots of special care. In case of N. edwardsiana this unneeded care easily kills the plants. The only thing I'd care about in case of plants that have shipped around the globe without substrate (= stressed or damaged roots) is a constantly humid air for the first 2 weeks or so. All plants that I ship nowadays are hardened in the greenhouse for several months and they are fit to do well in a correctly set up greenhouse without much of an issue.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Andreas

Great to see your input Andreas. I am sure that Nep101 will be quite relieved. :) Good to hear that you are growing the eddies in hard conditions.

Andreas does stand his words, he replaced the neps when it was died during shipping last year.:-O

Thanks for popping in, Andreas!

Andreas does stand his words, he replaced the neps when it was died during shipping last year.:-O

He definitely is a great guy for sure. When some of my Hamatas died earlier, he replaced them for me no problem. I still look forward on doing future purchases from Andreas. I do love his plants for sure.

I've ordered quite a few plants from Andreas Wistuba and have always been satisfied with what he has sent me. He is very good with communication regarding the plants he sells as well.

I can vouch that the eddie he sent me was very well hardened, as mine continues to put out new leaf after new leaf without a hitch after having received it. And from photos that other growers have posted, or privately messaged me, I'd say theirs are growing quite well for them too.

And best of luck with your replacement eddie Mike.

dvg

I can vouch that the eddie he sent me was very well hardened, as mine continues to put out new leaf after new leaf without a hitch after having received it. And from photos that other growers have posted, or privately messaged me, I'd say theirs are growing quite well for them too.

:pics:

Dont give up hope!!!!

Now hold on with the little guy! i have a nepenthes jacquelinaea- juvenile, that i neglected and had a COMPLETELY black tip, but with a little humidity recovery (I put a plastic dome over it), it has recovered. SO HOLD ON!

by the way, i am no expert, but i believe that nepenthes edwardsiana requires temps down to 36 degrees, and that nights in the fridge would not hurt at all.

Edit: going down memory lane and this may have been one of the most inaccurate statements I have ever made.

Last edited:
No, they don't need to be put in a refrigerator at night but they do require proper High Land temps as Andreas indicated: cool days and cold nights. My own HL Nepenthes setup goes from 60-75*F days year round to 40-50*F nights year round and is set at 90% RH but actually hovers between 80-90%.

Now for my general commentary on High Land Nepenthes and Temps:

It seems to be a popular idea lately (and not a new one) that if people keep HL plants wet enough, bright enough or humid enough then proper HL temperature requirements can be ignored. While those aspects are also as important as temps you need a complete gestalt of ALL conditions being within proper ranges. If this were not the case who would bother with cooling setups? Certainly not I, when running my HL setup in summer doubles my electric bill.

Without proper temperatures for at least 9 months of the year HL Nepenthes will suffer a slow decline. This heat induced decline is typified by a reduction in growth point size and vigor - instead of increasing. At it's most simple the cold temps at night can be thought of as halting the HL plants growth. Without the trigger of the night time drop the plant will continue to metabolize and essentially "grow itself to death". As I mentioned, this is not good desirable growth, it's weak, twisted, rarely pitchers properly. The growing point gets smaller and smaller until it eventually disappears. This condition is entirely treatable however, by providing proper temps a plant not yet too-far-gone will bounce back, though it will take time.

There have been some people (who do not grow HL Nepenthes) propagating the idea that raising the daytime temps to very high ranges means that you won't have to drop the night time temps below ambient house temps because the plants are still getting a 20*F drop at night. This is also an erroneous assumption and will not work in the long term, this is simply too hot during the day and too warm at night. Although nothing is stopping anyone from trying - it's your money, feel free to burn it however you wish... Though if you do succeed at growing your HL Neps in LL conditions be sure and post the results at the 6 month, 1 and 2 year mark, I'd certainly be excited to see it.

Back