What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. argentii cultivation

I would like to try an N. argentii or N. campanulata mounted with some miniature orchids. One could be HL and one intermediate/LL.

Alright well I finally received this awesome species and I'm officially bumping the thread and posting some pics of my new arrival. I have it growing in 100% sphagnum moss. This is not a substrate I have heard of as being successful, but nor have I heard of it being a bad idea. So I guess I will be the one who finds out either way how argentii grows in only moss. If anyone's got this plant and has pics, come on lets post em.

Here's mine. :)

DSCN5724.jpg

DSCN5723.jpg

DSCN5722.jpg

DSCN5721.jpg

Oh, here's mine! It's in lfs : perlite like everything else in my collection... hope it works..

PC040007.jpg

Gorgeous!! makes me want one!! Probably next year..

Great job guys. Mine has stopped growing well since last year when I moved it to the tank. But well...lets see how it goes. I have started to pay more attention to getting the conditions right. First up...more lighting.

Vraev: What was the condition switch? Your plant doesn't like it inside of a terrarium? Was it in a green house, or what?

Mine is in a tank.:suspect:

yeah!! it was inside a homedepot greenhouse. It loved it in there. Temps were awsome.....75F or 78F during day and maybe 60F lowest at night. Did amazing.

Also...it dried to a crisp and took many many months to recover and then I had to repot and now fnally...12 months later..it seems to be growing...seems to be.... lets see.

Oh man! That's sad. I'm glad that it at least *seems* to be growing. I'll pray to the heathen carnivorous gods by sacrificing a capensis for its survival.

thanks man! I am waiting for the day when it can grow back as great as it was before.

I've heard so many horror stories about this plant and how slow it grows, often spending extended periods of time in suspended animation. But I can say that I have been experiencing no cessation in growth and surprisingly more growth than I had expected!

Ten days ago:
DSCN5721.jpg

And today, Look at the tendril in the center of the leaf.

DSCN5733.jpg

My conditions so far have been:

Substrate: 100% pure living long-fiber sphagnum moss.

Lighting: Roughly seven inches away from one "plant light" and one CFL bulb. I also take out into the sunshine when possible.

Humidity: Hovering mostly between 50-70% but I specifically spray this plant more than any other plant, often with as much pressure as my hydraulic mister can muster.

Airflow: I take it out of the terrarium twice a day and blow on it profusely.

All water is rain-catch.

44 days after arrival from Dr. W, it has popped its first pitcher. :) :) :)

DSCN5786.jpg

Sargent argentii reporting for service!

DSCN5787.jpg

Congratulations Dex. I think mine has bit the dust. The excessive moving/change in conditions...repotting has finally taken a toll. Its starting to blacken all of its leaves and growing point is going dead. Another to the list of dying plants that has carried on from 2010. Well...I need to try one more of this soon. I truly love this species as well. Until then..good luck with it Dex. You are off to a good start. Don't disturb it once it settles in.

Niiiice. I got that replacement BE one for the AW one I traded off mid/late last year...it hasn't really done anything for me yet, but I think that's on par with regular behaviour for it because they're so slow!

After reading this thread I'm going to have to put mine in a larger pot with the moss for the tndrils to go to. I'll try and post pictures soon.

Congratulations Dex. I think mine has bit the dust. The excessive moving/change in conditions...repotting has finally taken a toll. Its starting to blacken all of its leaves and growing point is going dead. Another to the list of dying plants that has carried on from 2010. Well...I need to try one more of this soon. I truly love this species as well. Until then..good luck with it Dex. You are off to a good start. Don't disturb it once it settles in.

I am very sorry to hear that. :( If there's any green left in the leaves, don't give up hope. But just in case... R.I.P. Good luck in getting another one.

Niiiice. I got that replacement BE one for the AW one I traded off mid/late last year...it hasn't really done anything for me yet, but I think that's on par with regular behaviour for it because they're so slow!

But Thez, mine has pitchered. (obviously) Didn't you get yours about the same time? I have a theory that this Nepenthes needs to be pampered. :-o

After reading this thread I'm going to have to put mine in a larger pot with the moss for the tndrils to go to. I'll try and post pictures soon.

The more pics the better! :)

Anyone else out there that grows this?
This little guy arrived back in September in good condition but w/o any pitchers. Since arrival, it has grown well but very slowwwwwwwwly. I've been keeping it next to N. tenuis - hoping that seeing how fast it grows might make it jealous (hasn't worked). Even a N. lowii in the same tank has been putting it to shame ... ???. About 2 weeks ago, it finally opened it's 1st pitcher, which it has been working on forever. It's now working on inflating a 2nd one, which looks to be progressing at a better rate ...
Nargentii1stpitcher013111RS.jpg

(2.5" pot)

Awww yay Ron!

Excellent plant Ron! Yours is much more mature than mine. Maybe as they get older their growth rate slows? Nice pitcher and nice plant of a very nice specie. :)

I Finally got one! :boogie:

Nargentii02_4-7-11.jpg

Nargentii_4-7-11.jpg

Wooot! Another one joins the ranks! That pitcher is a nice one, I like it exo.

Back