What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ampullaria X talangensis upate

uphwiz

jimmy
months back i posted pics. of this hybrid , it lead to some question of its parentage so here it is now , and look what i just found under the mounding moss , i need advise on how to handle the pups , are they going to burn up in the t-5 lights, can i just plop the plant back in the terrarium , and let them adjust ???, or should i try to shade them for a while. first pic is before i removed the moss.
IMG_2473.jpg
click on pics for closer view.

My guess is that they should be fine as artificial lights aren't as intense as sun, so they would be less damaging.

Beautiful plant!! I want one now!

other than the lid not being as narrow, it looks like a straight ampullaria...
i know Rob at BE said they stopped releasing them because of the possible mix up, so maybe this is just a straight red amp?

It does look rather close to ampullaria. Although, I always felt like talangensis looked kind of like a round-lidded ampullaria so it's hard to say. Very nice plant though. If you're worried about burning the new growth point, just lump some moss back on top of it. They did fine underneath it before, and when they're ready they'll find their way out into full exposure.
~Joe

You're getting the carpet started man! It's gonna be one beautiful spread!

From my experience with the green amp, I would suggest leaving it potted in the pot it's in and not "letting it have room to spread" until the pot is densely packed with pitchers on small rosettes. Then transfer the whole root bound soil mass into a larger pot if you want to keep the yard of pitchers going. I kept my root bound green amp on a shallow tray about 1" deep refilling when it ran out for a day or two. Basically filled the tray once a week. When I divided it there was over 30 small rosettes from a 6" pot!

Back