What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New way to grow Nepenthes Sibuyanensis

Hey everyone, after hearing many troubles of people growing Nepenthes Sibuyanensis, I experimented with my poor plant and Eureka!
I think I have hit the soft spot of Nepenthes Sibuyanensis. After horribly abusing it, it grew a horrible deformed leaf. Then after a lot of reading about that nep and several other similar species, I decided on a new course of action. I found out,

1.It likes lower lighting
2.Burying its tendigrils (spelling mistake) in LFSM results in pitchers
3.It does not need extremely cool temps

With these guidelines, my Sibuyanensis has thrived. It has already formed two pitchers in a row, very good considering that is has only produced one pitcher coming to my house two years ago. I do not know if it is relevant, but I poured coffee in its pot. Please reply about experiences with this plant species. BTW it does not grow in a terranium, but a bowl in a south facing window.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine likes to be ignored on the bottom of the greenhouse. It forms its pitchers underneath the boards the pot is sitting on. Maybe I'll try moving it to a warm dark corner. I think this species needs higher humidity to pitcher well.

I think the ideal conditions is a dark cool place with plenty of moisture. Humidity is not a necessity if you follow the rules above. This is my experience. I live in Stockton CA so humidity is low and temps are high outside.

I grow mine out in full sun albeit hiding behind some bigger nepenthes' leaves for an hour at a time - it likes to bury its tendrils in its pot and put the pitcher opening right at the soil line so I don't actually know how big its pitchers are XD.

Your plant is only forming pitchers in the LFSM. Do you keep the moss moist? I would think the humidity levels around the pitchers would be pretty high.

The problem with this discussion is in using relative terms like cool, dark, high humidity, etc. While I think we have similar ideas about what these mean in regards to Nepenthes, it can be a little confusing.

Yes I think the plant itself does not need much humidity, just the tendrils are damp. I think the tendrils are in high humidity. I spray it several times every day, so it is reasonably damp. If you squeeze the moss no water comes out. BTW this method works on my ventricosa too. I will continue to experiment.

Update! This method is working extremely well now.

got pics? would love to see the progress! :D

How do you upload pictures? I alredy took them on the camera.

a photo hosting site like photobucket, copy the direct link of the photo, use the code
should work. also, andy has a photohosting site for members of this forum. you'll need to ask him to set one up for you.

Back