What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first pitcher opening up!

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
Not exactly the most glamorous Nep species out there but after several failed pitchers that stayed small and shrived this one is finally got to a good size and is opening!

IMG_1923.jpg

ventricosa?

Yep. Supposedly ventricosa 'red'

Woot! I would move it to a sphagnum mix if possible, though.

Hey grats. It's great watching how the pitchers progress with each new one. You'll be hooked.

I do have some sphagnum still. Would it appreciate 100% LFS?

Hey grats. It's great watching how the pitchers progress with each new one. You'll be hooked.

Don't say that...neps are too pricey for me to get hooked LOL

And I would keep it far away from sphagnum. Is that a peat moss mix it is in? I wouldn't use peat moss either.

I do have some sphagnum still. Would it appreciate 100% LFS?

I doubt it, especially if you have it sitting in water.

Don't say that...neps are too pricey for me to get hooked LOL

Too late.

It's still in what the seller put it in...I think its a peat/perlite mix.

And I would keep it far away from sphagnum. Is that a peat moss mix it is in? I wouldn't use peat moss either.

Too late.

Hey Steve, What kind of substrate would you actually recommend then?

The question of substrate is a highly individual one. It depends on many factors, such as lighting, humidity, how often you water, what types of extremes you need to overcome, etc.

I use cedar bark mulch, medium orchid bark, pumice in equal ratios with a little charcoal mixed in (<10%).

I hate repotting plants grown in sphagnum, because, inevitably, under my conditions, the sphagnum begins to break down and get sloppy and I end up spraying the root ball with my garden hose to remove as much of the mush as possible and end up loosing some roots too.

Looks like it finally settled in. You'll be hooked in no time... buahahahahaha!

Back