What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal growth question on N.Ampullaria

I have a very healthy N.Ampullaria and I want it to start growing some basal pitchers. How do I encourage it to do so?

Will cutting the main vine down encourage it to have basal growth or will it kill it?

here's some pics of it

here's the whole plant
DSC02332.jpg

DSC02338.jpg

biggest pitcher I have so far :-D
DSC02337.jpg

Don't cut the plant. Instead, let the medium dry out pretty well just once, and then resume watering normally again. I know that sounds a little scary, but the amp will start producing basal rosettes in reaction. The treatment should be brief, but it needs to get dry enough to put a little stress the plant. I don't know how you would accomplish that in a vivarium, but it works if you can manage it.

i could probably put shrink wrap on top of the medium to get it to dry out.

How many days should I let it be dry?

Awesome vivarium! I'd like to know more about it and maybe see an overall shot of the tank?

Yes, a slight drought stress will help but also simply letting the main vine grow long (bend it if possible) and allow the roots to get rootbound. You could try a letting the ground be "dry" for a week but I don't know how long it would take your vivarium to actually dry out and get to that point. Once I water mine well they tend to stay moist for a very long time. I rarely actually pour water in the soil after the initial soaking. Not sure how your experience with watering the soil in vivariums is but for me misting one or twice a day keeps everything well hydrated.

The main vine needs to stay intact as long as possible. Cutting the main vine will cause at least one of the basals to start elongating. If the main vine is left alone the basals will remain as tiny rosettes with large pitchers.

Man I wish I had talent like that.. Absolutely stunning tank!

well while it looks healthy and to be gaining decent size, it needs to be a bit bigger before you see any major basal development, atleast from what ive seen on a local friend of mine's plants.

i could probably put shrink wrap on top of the medium to get it to dry out.

How many days should I let it be dry?

Don't think of it in terms of an amount of time. Just let it dry out, and when it gets dry, water it normally again. I can't say I quite understand how you mean to use shrink wrap to dry it out.

By the way, I agree with swords. Your vivarium is awesome.

Without realizing it I guess I've been following your viv journal on DB already! LOL
Wonderful tank - I love seeing growing in photos.

Yes you can cut the main vine once you start getting basals, just be aware that one of the basals will start to elongate to replace it but you will have many months before it's also too long and needs to be trimmed as well.

As far as rooting the cut section of N. ampullaria vine you can certainly try, of all the Neps I've grown ampullaria seems most reticent about not rooting from a vine cutting. I have no idea why that would possibly be but the basals can be divided up and grown on to new plants no problem. It may have simply been the old clone I had that didn't root from stem cutting, I've got 3 new N. amp forms (harlequin, orange/red and speckled) who may not behave the way my old green form did.

Don't think of it in terms of an amount of time. Just let it dry out, and when it gets dry, water it normally again. I can't say I quite understand how you mean to use shrink wrap to dry it out.

By the way, I agree with swords. Your vivarium is awesome.

yeah what I was meaning was how long should I leave it dry before watering. But I get it now. So just let the medium dry before watering again.

The shrink wrap thing was to cover the top of the medium from water because my tank gets misted 3 times a day automatically. So this was the only way to get the medium to dry out was to cover it from water because I don't want the rest of the viv to dry out if I just turn off the misters.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Without realizing it I guess I've been following your viv journal on DB already! LOL
Wonderful tank - I love seeing growing in photos.

Yes you can cut the main vine once you start getting basals, just be aware that one of the basals will start to elongate to replace it but you will have many months before it's also too long and needs to be trimmed as well.

As far as rooting the cut section of N. ampullaria vine you can certainly try, of all the Neps I've grown ampullaria seems most reticent about not rooting from a vine cutting. I have no idea why that would possibly be but the basals can be divided up and grown on to new plants no problem. It may have simply been the old clone I had that didn't root from stem cutting, I've got 3 new N. amp forms (harlequin, orange/red and speckled) who may not behave the way my old green form did.

thanks for the tips! I'll keep them in mind. And I'll keep you guys posted on the results of this drying out process :D

Is the soil around the amp separated from the rest of the soil? Otherwise I would imagine the moisture would simply wick into the drier area.

yeah the soil is separate from the bottom area. It's planted higher than the ground area.

Back