What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low light nep?

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I'm just testing the waters at this point so please excuse my ignorance when it comes to neps...

I'm looking at a hook in the ceiling of my bedroom and obviously I have to make use of it so I was thinking of what I could put into a hanging basket and neps came to mind. Problem is that my window faces east so really it wouldn't get much direct light. My room is usually between 70-80F during the day and cooler at night. Also it is usually above 50% humidity, which also seems to be a stretch. I was thinking a highlander but again I believe lighting would be the big problem.

Is it just wishful thinking or is there actually a plant that would fit these conditions? Most everything I read just says the more light the better, which I don't doubt at all, but if there is a nep out there that can thrive (not just survive) in lower light I'm interested in knowing.

Thanks!

you could try n.miranda. its pretty simple and not picky at all. i grow mine in temps just like that.

I grow maxima in an east facing window. Gets pretty big though.

A N. rafflesiana might work. Mine is in identical conditions as yours. The only difference is that it's under lights. However, it's telling me by leaf burn that it could use lower light levels... I don't know if it would thrive, but I'm pretty sure it would survive. ;)

you could try n.miranda. its pretty simple and not picky at all. i grow mine in temps just like that.

I really like the N x miranda but its not an easy one to find for some reason...maybe its just the season?

I grow maxima in an east facing window. Gets pretty big though.

How big? I don't have a whole lot of clearance and I'd like to be able to get to my closet LOL

A N. rafflesiana might work. Mine is in identical conditions as yours. The only difference is that it's under lights. However, it's telling me by leaf burn that it could use lower light levels... I don't know if it would thrive, but I'm pretty sure it would survive. ;)

Yeah, I like this one too but I'd rather not get something that will only just squeak by given the conditions.

i happened to have got my miranada from andrew.

Low light neps?......N.glabrata, N.ampullaria, N.jacquilinae, and N.jamban all do well in lower light.

i happened to have got my miranada from andrew.

Imma bad TF member...I didn't even think of checking from him but he doesn't have any in stock anyways :-(

Low light neps?......N.glabrata, N.ampullaria, N.jacquilinae, and N.jamban all do well in lower light.

Oh no...more neps to choose from. Would they all do fine with the rest of the conditions as well? I'm worried the humidity is too low.

And this is probably pretty obvious but would hybrids of any of these crossed together work just as well?

How big? I don't have a whole lot of clearance and I'd like to be able to get to my closet LOL

Don't really know how big. Someday maybe I'll be able to find out. I always have to cut it back when it hits about two and a half feet across, but I believe it would get a fair bit bigger than that.

Oh no...more neps to choose from. Would they all do fine with the rest of the conditions as well? I'm worried the humidity is too low.

Your conditions don't seem to be quite lowland or highland. Perhaps you should be looking at neps of an intermediate disposition. I wouldn't worry too much about your humidity. I would just stay away from the ones that are known for being humidity dependent. Fifty percent might be a little low, but some people grow them with less, so it shouldn't be to bad.

And this is probably pretty obvious but would hybrids of any of these crossed together work just as well?

Probably, if you could actually find any. I would love to have a true amp/glabrata cross, but at least at this time, there seems to be some question as to the validity of those that are available. Alas.

Yeah, the maxima sounds a bit on the large side.

*sigh*

I dont want to spend mulah on a plant that isn't going to do well but at the same time I feel the need to get another nep. I told myself not to get hooked because they were too expensive but I can't stop thinking about using that hook LOL.

Anyways, I really like the miranda still and since everything I read says its a beginners nep and supposedly a HL x LL hybrid of sorts so maybe it would be okay in my "intermediate" conditions? I dunno, I also have gathered that these descriptions are too subjective to really mean much...of course, everything also says that they are common to find yet I can't see to get a hold of any at all. Grrrr...

I find that N.miranda is a light junkie, so as tough as it is, it may not pitcher well in low light.

So a cheap nep that can tolerate low light and 50% humidity.....hmmm....tricky, since many of the low light neps also preffer high humidity.

I might be getting a miranda from Andrew and I have another person wanting to get rid of theirs as well. I suppose I could get creative with clamp lights just to give it a bit more. Lord knows the renters before left enough hooks and nails in the walls. :crazy:

the miranda i got from andrew was like 4-5 inches in diameter. within two weeks it started popping out enormous leaves. now each leave is 10-12 inches. pitchers really nicely under minimal light.

Back