What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Plants. Tiny (But Proportionate) Pitchers.

lizasaur

Charlatan
So, while on the whole, my nepenthes are being happy pitcher-making machines. But I do have a couple exceptions that just have me scratching my head.

Example A: Miranda
DSCF5484.jpg

Example B: Ventricosa Red
DSCF5489.jpg

Madagascarenisis is doing the same thing, it just can't even keep the tiny ones alive so I cut them off and therefore have no pictures.

You can see it's not little lid syndrome...
They're all outside plants and I live in Florida, so it's generally hot and humid out.
I don't feed or fertilize them at all.
And um....yeah...
The Miranda basal supercedes the mother plant and should be making equivelent or larger pitchers instead of those cuties.
And when I got my Ventricosa, the pitchers looked like this
ventricosared.jpg

Maybe an inch smaller, but same color and shape.

Help would be appreciated :hail:

feeding and light. possibly humidity is also a good factor, although considering that you're in florida, it's probably light.

Too much or too little for the individuals in question?
Should I do the betta-pellet thing I've heard so much about?

too little sun. and yeah, sure you can do the betta pellet thing, although insects are probably better. people usually do pellets if they dont have a ready bug culture or dont want their plants looking ugly as is the case with sundews and pings.

Alrighty, I'll move them to the sunniest spots! :-D
Thanks Jon!

do it gradually, with a shade cloth during the transitions. too much light/heat at once will send the plant to shock and may even kill it.

good point. thanks :D

Back