What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

n. peter d amato

uphwiz

jimmy
just out of the shipping box , wanted to do a pic or two more , when I got in from work ,but had to mow, so here it is , at the shop , i get most plants delivered there so i can get them out of the box asap.
I didnt get to pot it up either, ill do it first thing before work.
they also sent a freebie , which i didnt get a photo of either it's. n.'Sabre' very nice but no pitchers , it has some developing though .
Is there any way to encourage the nodes on the peter d amato, to grow? without cutting the main stem:nono:
IMG_2841.jpg
IMG_2842.jpg
IMG_2850.jpg
IMG_2843.jpg

OMG how do I get a free N.Sabre? :cry:

Very nice plant! I'm sure the cup will encourage strong new growth :lol:

OMG how do I get a free N.Sabre? :cry:

Very nice plant! I'm sure the cup will encourage strong new growth :lol:

Buy a Peter D'Amato?

That PDA wouldn't happen to have been the one on eBay would it? :)

someone else is also gonna have to confirm but i think you got ripped off.....i think that is not 'Peter D'amato', the mature pitchers should not be green......even first opened up mine has more red than that one.....looks to me like you may have a different ventricosa x lowii clone and not Peter D'.....

DSCF0088.jpg

That was my first impression too...

"Is there any way to encourage the nodes on the peter d amato, to grow? without cutting the main stem?"

--here's an answer, you might not like it: spider mites, aka magic basal inducer powder. XD

Buy a Peter D'Amato?

That PDA wouldn't happen to have been the one on eBay would it? :)
Brokken, I hope I haven't stepped on your , or any other toes here.:-(
Were you bidding? was anyone else?
Wish someone would have responded to the thread I posted right after the auction was pulled, I had asked if anyone here had seen the auction or knew what happened.
Might have been able to save me, if you were watching and knew it wasn't PDA.
As with every thing. Live loose learn :censor:
If it's not PDA that will be ok, I just paid more for a lowii x ventricosa red, and im pretty sure this one is a lowii x ventricosa at the very least.

the moral dilemma was ,should I, or shouldn't I?:blush:
When the auction was canceled before its end, I was stumped, so I messaged the seller, and he e-mailed me in a few days, saying someone had offered to just buy the nep., and after he had canceled the auction, the guy backed out , and he suggested i was next up to buy it, if I still wanted it . I'm aware it sounds fishy. My first thought was do i know the seller. It turns out it was glider14 from this forum, he say's he is getting away from cp's for a while.
So I thought , if it wasn't going to be me , he would offer it to someone else, so i sent the money and he sent the plant in two days. along with a free n. 'sabre'
So if I was taken it was by one of our own , I didn't realize there was some kind of auction issues here as well , till he mentioned it, wish he were still on here so he could defend where it came from.
Any how. if anyone is hurt , or feels taken I'm sorry , but someone was going to end up with it, whatever it is.
Maybe he came to me because he knew I had posted looking for a PDA around the first of the year, and knows I'm still very new to neps.:blush:

I was watching it and was going to bid on it as it got closer to closing, but it's no big deal. It's a nice looking briggsiana. If you paid as much or less than the last bid, I think it's still well worth it. Even though the PDA's I've seen are redder than that, it is possible that it's been growing in shade. Only time will tell if your next pitchers are the colorful pitchers that PDA is known for.

I was watching it and was going to bid on it as it got closer to closing, but it's no big deal. It's a nice looking briggsiana. If you paid as much or less than the last bid, I think it's still well worth it. Even though the PDA's I've seen are redder than that, it is possible that it's been growing in shade. Only time will tell if your next pitchers are the colorful pitchers that PDA is known for.

even the pitchers mine puts into hiding due to the fact the plant likes to produce long tendrils always turn deep red regardless of the light.....

that said it is a very nice clone, the stark contrast between the deep red interior and green exterior is very nice and its a plant i would be proud of in my collection.....even though it is most likely not 'Peter D'amato' its not often that you see the general hybrid offered for sale....im told that 'Peter D'amato' does not like to activate lateral nodes and is a pain to root aswell which is why it is uncommon even though it is a hardy and fairly vigorous grower.....im sure the same reason is why you dont see other x Briggsiana clones around much......

Peter D or not you still have a plant that isnt terribly common....

he did say it was being grown in partial sun so well see if i can give it more light for a while.
I love the super dark inside, and the contrasting green outside, I have several dark pitchering neps that go totally dark purple to black , i do like the more colorful pitchers too, meaning more than one solid color through out the pitcher.

in defense for my name here... i bought this very plant, and the 'Sabre' from philcula a few years ago. this plant grows outside from april to september every year i have had it. the true color comes out when it produces pitchers inside. even in the sun that i give it, partial... gets full sun from about 1-5 everyday, and bright shade for the rest of the day. here are pics when it grows inside:
100_0154.jpg

DSCN0682.jpg

outside it does not get as dark for some reason.

i am positive this is the real deal. i got it from philcula, the pitchers get this dark red.... and they look like any other PDA i have seen.

Alex

The term PDA belongs to a GREX a word that is usually used for naming a seedling batch so there is only one PDA that peter has. the rest are seedbatch siblings Some withh look very dark like the one at Cal Carn and a lot will not have that much color
Jest like the Judith Adrain, each plant is a little different from the other one because he named the seedling batch Judith Adrian

coulda swore PDA was a name given to a single clone versus say 'Black Dragon' which was given to the whole batch of seedlings.....an seedling that was a cut above the rest was called PDA, the rest are just xBriggsiana....atleast going from my memory....

coulda swore PDA was a name given to a single clone versus say 'Black Dragon' which was given to the whole batch of seedlings
my thought exactly. there are people out there who have plants from the same seedling batch who do not call their plant PDA. in fact there is another cultivar from the same batch of a name i cant recall off hand.... John something i believe. its also registered to the ICPS too. i find it very unlikely that a grex and a cultivar have the same name if they have the same lineage. if it is in fact a grex are we going to have to ask every time this plant is offered(as rare as it is...) whether it is 'Peter D Amato' the cultivar.... or 'Peter D Amato' the grex name...

all legit PDA plants (legit not being another lowii x ventricosa hybrid given the name so it can be sold for twice as much) i have seen are ALL female. philcula's plant that this came from was a female. this plant is female unless philcula ripped me off which i doubt. most people who can put the time and care into these plants the way that many big name growers do would have no reason to pass a fake.

Alex

Peter keeps his original clone very close to his chest. Even though it was Phil selling the plant. I sincerely doubt that is was a cutting from the original There may have been some very dark siblings in that bunch
yes the real PDA is a female
On occasion they are auctioned at the BACPS and are called PDA but it is clarified that it is not the actual named cultivar
Sabre is oriiginally from Exotica in Australia

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

maybe this will help you figure out if you have been taken
This is from cp-photofinder
These 3 photos are of the original plant

Nepenthes 'Peter D'Amato' (D'Amato)
Comments: [lowii x ventricosa] Peter D'Amato writes: Dr. Marabini in Germany did the cross, which I was told was N. lowii x ventricosa. He sent seed to several growers around the world, including Bill Baumgartl in California. Bill grew out some of the plants over several years. He chose this clone and named it after me. He told me the grex was called N. x briggsiana after, I believe, John Briggs, a Nepenthes hunter. So this clone is technically called N. x briggsiana variety 'Peter D'Amato'. The plant is female. updated: 2010-07-25
http://www.********************.com/Images/N.xPeterDamato.jpg
http://www.cpukforum.co.uk/uploader/user_uploads/N_peter_Damato_re.jpg
http://www.forumcarnivore.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=2064

fly trap lady the last photo in your three picked from photo finder looks more like mine than any other pic i have seen here, other than the red outside of the piccher, it has more of the shape this one has.
im no expert , but am enjoying learning about this nep here is another. piece from photo finder.
http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/nbriggsiana.htm.

He chose this clone and named it after me. He told me the grex was called N. x briggsiana after, I believe, John Briggs, a Nepenthes hunter. So this clone is technically called N. x briggsiana variety 'Peter D'Amato'. The plant is female.

that would make 'Peter D Amato' the cultivar and x briggsiana the grex... i dont think you can have one grex that has the exact same lineage(genetically speaking) that can be called another grex. N. x briggsiana var 'Peter D Amato' would be a cultivated variety(cultivar) of the grex briggsiana. 'PDA' being part of the grex briggsiana. so if Peter has the one and only 'Peter D Amato' that would mean that all other 'PDA's are fake and not 'Peter D Amato', all other PDAs are just a grex name and not the same plant. correct?

i have a hard time believing that...

Alex

this photo in is the reason I started my nep. collection, the bottom of this particular nep seems a bit greener than what most here are saying PDA would have in any lighting situation, which nep is this book referring to here . Im totally lost now to all the N.x briggsiana/Peter D Amato talk.
Thank you again for the cool nep. Alex:-D I just love it..
IMG_2859.jpg

that would make 'Peter D Amato' the cultivar and x briggsiana the grex... i dont think you can have one grex that has the exact same lineage(genetically speaking) that can be called another grex. N. x briggsiana var 'Peter D Amato' would be a cultivated variety(cultivar) of the grex briggsiana. 'PDA' being part of the grex briggsiana. so if Peter has the one and only 'Peter D Amato' that would mean that all other 'PDA's are fake and not 'Peter D Amato', all other PDAs are just a grex name and not the same plant. correct?

i have a hard time believing that...

I totally agree but nevertheless Nepenthes 'Peter D Amato' is registered at ICPS:

Carnivorous Plant Names Database

N: $[Nepenthes ' Peter D'Amato ' {D'Amato}]
P: Savage Garden:275 (1998)
S: =[[Nepenthes ventricosa {Blanco}] * [Nepenthes lowii {Hook.f.}]]
B: J.Marabini, Hoechstadt an der Aisch
Nominant: W.Baumgartl
C: synonym of [Nepenthes briggsiana {Marabini ex D'Amato}]nom.nud.
HC: name not registered with ICRA (originator's consent missing)
Description: Savage Garden:275 (1998)
+ "One variety, named [Nepenthes ' Peter D'Amato ' {D'Amato}] by Bill
+ Baumgartl, has smaller pitchers solidly colored blood red. Other clones
+ have rather sizable pitchers with paler coloration."
Standard: Savage Garden:274 (1998)
Etymology: after the author of the name

It's registered as variety. Quite strange in my eyes. It doesn't seem to be a cultivar nor a grex. This seems to be the part of seeds which Johannes Marabini sent to USA. Never knew that one can also register varieties. In my eyes quite a nonsense to register seedgrown plants which you didn't even crossed.

EDIT:

It's VENTRICOSA x LOWII

Back