What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
So I just received a healthy looking tiny young N. jacquelineae as well as a spectabilis x aristolochiodies. These are two plants that I have been drooling over for a long while and I picked them up for what I thought to be a REALLY reasonable price! Anyway... that's not the point.

Right now I have a lowland chamber that I grow my bicalcarata, ventricosa, ampullaria, and even my spectabilis x talangensis inside of. I try to keep it pretty moderate as far as lowland terrariums go. The spec x tal hybrid has done surprisingly good in the warm temps. I keep it about 85 degrees in the day and it might dip to high sixties - mid seventies at night.

So... I know that this is probably not an ideal set up for jacquelineae, or maybe even the spec x aristo. I've heard the spec x aristo are bomb-proof so I'm not worried about what conditions I give it, but the jacquelineae I am a little more worried about.

I've read and researched many times before, I understand it is a true highlander. But it's always nice to hear input from experienced growers like the ones that I know there are on here.

So, what have you found to be optimum temperature fluctuations for N. jacquelineae?
How much light does this species seem to thrive off of? More light or less?
How temperamental is this species, how unforgiving is it in less than ideal conditions?
A true highland set up is required right?

When I make that set up, do you think I should move the hybrids into the set up? Will they benefit more from a true highland or a moderate lowland set up?

Thanks all!

Also always feel free to post pics of your beautiful N. jacquelineae plants. :)

jacqs are not forgiving plants. you need strict highland conditions otherwise it's not gonna pitcher.
rattler, from what i understand, grows them in intermediate conditions, but it hasnt pitchered for him at all.

optimum temps: 80F max during the day, 50Fs at night.
lighting: blast light away--full light. high humidity wouldnt hurt either.
tempermental: two words-- harsh mistress.
True Highland: you bet your pretty penny.

i received my jac back in April. it decided not to pitcher for me until 3 weeks ago. that being said, the tendrils proceeding after the the developing pitcher have aborted. :cuss: i blame a combination of over heating and possible pest damage.

Last edited:
:-D

My BE clone made its only pitcher for me in 6mo of owning it with something like 75 day, low 60 to occasional upper 50's at night, and with its tendril resting on a spot of moss:
P9100031.jpg

(recently repotted in the last 2 weeks..)

It gets mottled light throughout the day from 2pm-ish until sunset outside.

jac doesnt seem terribly adaptable to me either and i grow it at much cooler temps than lowlands......my macro, burb, flava, hamata ect grow well for me but the jac growing alongside of them has been pouting for many, many months......

jac doesnt seem terribly adaptable to me either and i grow it at much cooler temps than lowlands......my macro, burb, flava, hamata ect grow well for me but the jac growing alongside of them has been pouting for many, many months......

I have that same thing..macro, flava, hamata. Jacq only put out pitchers when aristo and dubia did so maybe the way to go is to treat it as uhl?

could be, not sure, im dropping it to 60 or a few degrees lower at nights fall, winter and spring, 65-68 in summer.....days are between 78 and 85 so its getting a good drop....

i have heard that jacqs are crazy hardy plants actually. i think the problem is getting them to a larger size...my jacq is about 9" in diameter and grows pretty well now, it took awhile to settle in and everything however...
Coffee works wonders with it too, and i grow it as an ultrahighlander....
most recent jacq pitcher
P1010025.jpg

and while im at it,
flava
Nflavafinal.jpg

jamban
P1010032.jpg

im wondering if it aint the fact that the smaller sized plants are the reason they are a PITA, have heard that larger are more hardy.....

So, what have you found to be optimum temperature fluctuations for N. jacquelineae?
How much light does this species seem to thrive off of? More light or less?
How temperamental is this species, how unforgiving is it in less than ideal conditions?
A true highland set up is required right?

When I make that set up, do you think I should move the hybrids into the set up? Will they benefit more from a true highland or a moderate lowland set up?

I agree that N. jacquelineae can be unforgiving -- and rather slow to settle in, especially as a tiny, recently de-flasked plant; that had been my early experience. That said, it is a true highlander (occurring in the wild at 1700-2200 meters) and mine consistently see temperatures in the low fifties, high forties by night -- and reasonably warm temps by day -- say a twenty temperature range. It does well in filtered or diffused light. I found the leaves a bit sensitive to direct light and they were quick to burn.

I honestly don't think that it will survive intermediate conditions for too long . . .

i think that is more than likely the case rattler, i hear the same thing about baby hamata (however i havent noticed that so much in my plants of various size)
i am thinking of picking up a couple more smaller jacqs and seeing how it goes, though highlanders have never really been a problem for me....other than rajah, it grows but it just doesnt pitcher (getting close to 9" in diameter now as well)

highlanders aint been much of a problem for me either, other than jac.....

Thanks for the replies everybody!

This is the first true Highland/Ultra plant I've ever had so this is great information to hear.

Looks like tomorrow I will create an Ultrahighland terrarium for it and I'll even pull it out of the steamy intermediate den right now and give it a Southeast Alaskan cooling for its first night with me.

I figure if I can grow lowlanders I aught to be able to grow highlanders too right?

I'm expecting it to be a very long haul for this lovely little lady until she's as good looking as Kris's. Day one.
SANY0654.jpg

So far this hybrid has already...
SANY0657.jpg

lived up to my...
SANY0659.jpg

expectations!
SANY0660.jpg
Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides

I've found jacq to be quite finicky. Pitchers randomly, makes a few good leaves then makes a few small ones, grows in spurts, etc. Very inconsistent. It does best for me overall in the colder months of the year, when I can give it solid highland to ultrahighland conditions. But in summer it really suffers. My summer temps run about 80-85 in the day, 65 at night. My jacq doesn't do well in those temps. And I've noticed it likes humidity a lot.

Got my 4 inch jacq in my growroom with my amp and inermis.
It seems to do very well in there.
Since i got it little over a month ago it made 2 new leaves, and working on its 2nd pitcher.
Temps are 85 by day and 68 at night.
60-100% humidity.

Got my 4 inch jacq in my growroom with my amp and inermis.
It seems to do very well in there.
Since i got it little over a month ago it made 2 new leaves, and working on its 2nd pitcher.
Temps are 85 by day and 68 at night.
60-100% humidity.

Wow! that answer came out of the left field. Thanks for the input, I'm definitely going to try and give it as highland as possible just in case.

My jacq is so far doing quite well, I have it in these conditions.....

Temps....78F day, 65F night

humidity...75% day, 87% night

lighting...bright,

soil... LFS/orchid bark/charcoal.

Njacq01_29.jpg

Back