What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating Nepenthes

Ok so I just bought some DipnGrow stuff, and plant to slice off a piece of stem with a serrated steak knife.

What media should I put it in? Do I put it in the normal shagum peat moss, perlite, and bark?

I think you should try to use a tool that makes a cleaner cut like a razor blade for a less traumatic cut. I use damp, LFS (Long-fiber sphagnum) as a rooting media. I keep my cutting in ziplock plastic bags to keep the humidity high. I would try to make at least a two node cutting if you are new to nepenthes cuttings.

I do not typically use a rooting powder, but I know some people swear by it.

I often use a scalpel or single-edge razor blade and split the cut end to form a fork, then use rooting hormone (Rootone) or a gel (such as Clonex) . . .

Alright, I cut it with a kitchen knife... guess I should have really bought a razor blade/scapel. The Nepenthes was a lot woodier than I thought it would be! Next time for sure! Anyways, I dipped it in 20x DipNGrow solution a couple times quick, then wrapped the LFSM around it.

Make sure you are using a good LFS. Mosser lee is not the way to go.

I did an experiment with it, I was over at my grandpas house and he had a bag of it. I took some out, put it in a zip-lock bag, then misted it a few times. After a week of it being closed up in my room in a sunny window-sill, the amount of mold/fungus on the top layer of the LFS was ridiculous.

I highly advise to use a different brand. Mosser lee is mostly just sticks and grass anyways.

Make sure you are using a good LFS. Mosser lee is not the way to go.

I did an experiment with it, I was over at my grandpas house and he had a bag of it. I took some out, put it in a zip-lock bag, then misted it a few times. After a week of it being closed up in my room in a sunny window-sill, the amount of mold/fungus on the top layer of the LFS was ridiculous.

I highly advise to use a different brand. Mosser lee is mostly just sticks and grass anyways.

Wish I had known that couple months ago lol. I only had Mosser Lee... got it back a couple months ago for my VFT. It is a lot of sticks and leaves!! >:[ And my other CPs that have it, lots of weeds are growing in it!

Few weeks ago, I had some in a vase with distilled water and it started stinking like rotten egg smell!! ???

I've had luck just rooting them in water, changed every couple days.

I just recently gave away a 2/3rds full bag of mosser lee. I was fed up with the poor quality!

Back